Digging/Tunneling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferris123

Reaction score
Caught my handsome boy Donald mid dig tonight anybody caught theirs doing similar? šŸ¤£

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_194224.jpg
    IMG_20220424_194224.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 22
My BHP has dug a full tunnel system under her substrate. It's fun to watch her disappear and reappear somewhere else.
I was finding holes everywhere but this was the first time I actually caught him doing it

Normal behaviour for my woma, it is often found under the Kritters krumble.
He has taken to digging his own "hides" under his plants and has actually managed one under his water bowl honestly surprised it hasn't caves in tbh

He has taken to digging his own "hides" under his plants and has actually managed one under his water bowl honestly surprised it hasn't caves in tbh
Same as mine, every morning I wake up and everything in the enclosure has moved, the hides, the water bowl, I like it, I have mostly morelia so to see totally different behaviour is kinda cool to me.

How old is Donald? My girl is just on 1 year now, she is my first aspidites so I'm stil really learning about her. So far I'm pretty happy.

Same as mine, every morning I wake up and everything in the enclosure has moved, the hides, the water bowl, I like it, I have mostly morelia so to see totally different behaviour is kinda cool to me.

How old is Donald? My girl is just on 1 year now, she is my first aspidites so I'm stil really learning about her. So far I'm pretty happy.
He is just over 4 mths old, he has grown like a weed after his shed I suspect he will be about 68 cms and close to 100gs. Most placid little thing until I put his mice in the enclosure, then he is very defensive for the next few hours but haven't been bitten yet

He is just over 4 mths old, he has grown like a weed after his shed I suspect he will be about 68 cms and close to 100gs. Most placid little thing until I put his mice in the enclosure, then he is very defensive for the next few hours but haven't been bitten yet

I could be wrong as my experience with them is limited but I get the impression most are or can be on the cage defensive side, my girl will jump violently if you open the door or even lunge at you, it's all show but it's still intimidating for some reason. I've heard others say similar things.
Like your little guy, once she is out, she is the most gentle creature so I know it's all bluff.

As for food, I'm currently feeding medium to large rats, I just open the door and throw them in, eventually she finds them.

You could feed bigger meals if you want, you'd be surprised at just how big a meal they can eat and for long term, you'll want to get him onto rats sooner rather than later.

Attachments

• 20220319_154507.jpg
    20220319_154507.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220426_161453.jpg
    20220426_161453.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 8
I could be wrong as my experience with them is limited but I get the impression most are or can be on the cage defensive side, my girl will jump violently if you open the door or even lunge at you, it's all show but it's still intimidating for some reason. I've heard others say similar things.
Like your little guy, once she is out, she is the most gentle creature so I know it's all bluff.

As for food, I'm currently feeding medium to large rats, I just open the door and throw them in, eventually she finds them.

You could feed bigger meals if you want, you'd be surprised at just how big a meal they can eat and for long term, you'll want to get him onto rats sooner rather than later.
He is going up a food size as soon as I can source it at the moment he is on 2 fuzzie or if he wants bigger a pinky rat and a fuzzie. I usually just leave meals in the hot spot to keep warm and he eventually eats it.....although he absolutely launched half way across his enclosure for a very small weanling mouse.....i have found the bigger the food item the more "violent" he is with it

He is going up a food size as soon as I can source it at the moment he is on 2 fuzzie or if he wants bigger a pinky rat and a fuzzie. I usually just leave meals in the hot spot to keep warm and he eventually eats it.....although he absolutely launched half way across his enclosure for a very small weanling mouse.....i have found the bigger the food item the more "violent" he is with it
I used to warm up her food, but then I found she would eat as long as the food was not frozen, so I stopped trying as much.
I think she could be close to my favourite based on her "weird" (compared to my morelia) behaviour, like I said, it's slightly intimidating but I love the crazy bluffs and jerking around, I jump everytime but it's fun to try and find her head, usually it's a lot closer to me than I knew, I can't see her due to the blackness of her face,

Do you have other snakes as well? What is your favourite?

Man, I love Woma's and their personalities. Mine would have to be the most placid I've ever seen - both out and in the cage.

When it comes to food she's keen as - but also careful - it's probably not the case but it's almost as though she's wanting to make sure she's biting the food and not me first. (She's only grabbed me once by accident, and the apparent 'look' when she realised and let go in an embarrassment kind of appearance was priceless coming from a snake). Ever since, she's normally taken a bit of a test bite first (almost as though to make sure it's food it seems).

I don't get it. My understanding of these snakes is that they are supposed to be very limited intellectually and just go by instinct, and I'm well aware of anthropomorphism - so I'm fairly sure that it's just a case of me having a more timid snake (or maybe brain damaged one šŸ˜† ) - but I totally get why people think snakes have more intelligence and emotions after they've had a Woma. They are so dopey, so entertaining, and even my wife (who did not want a snake) called her cute as soon as we got her.

As for the tunneling, mine normally tries to get under the water bowl, with results that can be easily imagined.

Back