Diseases that can pass between lizards and snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For some time now I've been wondering about this question: Are there any diseases that affect both lizards and snakes and are thus communicable? I imagine they'd be affected by the same parasites, but I'm not sure about disease.

The reason I ask is that I have a lot of wild geckos at my place and many of them come inside. I might also be getting a beardie and I'm wondering how to handle quarantine. Come to think of it, could a wild gecko make a captive beardie sick?

Thanks,
Renenet

I know when treating rehabs (both snakes and lizards) that gram-ve bacteria are the ones targeted (whereas, I'm led to believe, It's gram +ve bacteria for most mammals) (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I've recently been concerned with one of my female Lacies, when in her outdoor enclosure, catching and consuming small garden skinks. As a result, I've been having regular fecal floats at the vet (for the Lacie, not me personally) and turned up ascarid worm eggs, but, in suprisingly low numbers (3 eggs in the whole sample at last count).

Thanks, IV. I've also been a bit concerned about my snake accidentally eating a gecko and maybe getting worms. I don't think it's happened yet because I don't think the geckos can get into her click-clack, but when she moves to a larger enclosure it might be possible.

I'll have to put gram-ve and gram+ve on my long list of things to research. I had a quick look on Wikipedia and it looks like something I'll need more than five minutes to understand. :D

Another avenue might be to contact Jonno at "Herp Books" and/ or "The Herp Shop" as both offer dedicated texts concerning reptile diseases? Though most of us don't like to think about the subject, it's a fascinating field of study.

Bet you'll end up buying something:)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Renenet, the Asian geckos are loaded with parasites but casual contact will not harm your snake or lizard. I have these geckos roaming through all my outdoor cages - no problem. I remember mammabear (here on APS) had a casualty when one of her knob-tails contracted worms from faeces of Asian geckos. I don't know the details, PM her.
Since you live here, you may like to meet Peter Barratt, a vet at Marlin Coast Veterinary Hospital just off Cook Hwy opposite Trinity Beach turn off. He is one of the best reptile vets I have ever met and I am sure he would be happy to talk to you about +- bacteria and other issues. Give him my regards.

cheers
M

Another avenue might be to contact Jonno at "Herp Books" and/ or "The Herp Shop" as both offer dedicated texts concerning reptile diseases? Though most of us don't like to think about the subject, it's a fascinating field of study.

Absolutely fascinating. I have a bit of an addiction to all those threads where there's something wrong with someone's reptile. I've got Mader's text on the way already, although it might end up being too complex to start with - I'll see how I go.

Renenet, the Asian geckos are loaded with parasites but casual contact will not harm your snake or lizard.

Thanks, Michael. I did wonder how things went in your outdoor cages. Are the GTPs even interested in the geckos?

It just so happens that the Marlin Coast Vet practice is in my neighbourhood. I'd already marked it out as the best place to take my reptiles if any of them should get sick. My maths bridging course starts on Monday - ugh! - but I'll try to have a chat with Peter after that's over. Does he ever come to CYHS meetings?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back