DIY enclosure from TV stand for my 4.5 ft diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hubzo

Reaction score
DIY Enclosure from TVstand total cost $541

Hi all,
I thought some of you may be interested in this DIY enclosure i made out of an old tv stand and cupboard
firstly i removed a draw that was at the bottom and I cut down the timber sliding doors underneath to increase overall enclosure size for the snake. was going to get rid of the cupboard underneath all together but i chose to just reduce the size so i still had somewhere to hide the thermos and timers.
For the background i used plywood and 40mm polystyrene sheets glued to the ply and carved it out to create the rock look. then i used flexible tile grout and watered it down enough to be brush paintable consistancy. ( this gives you a rock feel and texture)
i also waterproofed the polystyrene before grouting it.
For the door on the left i got an old house hold security door off a junk pile and stripped it down, cut it to size and re assembled it to the right size of the opening. (purchased a brand new handle because the old one had a dicky locking mechanism)
for the screen on the opposite side i used the same method as cutting down the old door but this time i used an old fly screen frame which i cut down.
fitted the door and screen with wire mesh and cork to hold it in instead of rubber (holds better)
for the hole in the top for the external light box to shine through i also cut down an old fly screen and used wire mesh
i found both hollow logs on a beach, i cleaned them and prepped them and once i had a flat cut on the top log hide i mounted it onto the ply backing after i had cut a hole in the foam so it could sit up tight to the ply.
for the front i opted to use glass instead of perspex as ive used in the past, just to give it a more classy look. and used aluminium angles to keep it snug. (made the glass panel easily removable)
i also cut perspex the size of the screen door and other side just incase i ever wanted to make it more air tight. these are designed to be held in place by little turnclips.

In summer the only heat source is the light box (2 UV's and a low watt heat bulb) on a thermo. and in winter i have 3 heat souces ( light box, heat rock in log hide, heat matt on one end of cage floor) running, all thermo controlled and on timers to change at different parts of the day to make the snake move around more. The green leaves are fake, although the air plant is real, and is growing, its been in there for about 12 months and has gone dry a few times but i just mist it a little and it thrives again within a few days

hope at least someone can be inspired by this because i beleive home made terrariums and enclosures are better than the bought types.:) total cost $541 which is including all electrical components and bulbs

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 129
  • n85 recovered files 111.jpg
    n85 recovered files 111.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 98
  • n85 recovered files 112.jpg
    n85 recovered files 112.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Its looks awesome ..... only thing i would say is be careful with a heat rock make sure you have a thermostat probe pretty much on top of the heat rock itself as they can get nasty hot and ive seen many photos of burnt animals from heat rocks but it looks like a lovely enclosure

i have 2 microclimate thermos for the light box and heat matt, is the thermo thats built into the rock not sufficient? i think the box said it sits at only 26.

could you run me through your heating in picture 3? looks very interesting :)

That looks great, am in the process of converting something at the moment. I hope it looks half as good as yours.

cool, share some pics when your done. we'd all like to see. all i can recommend is make sure you go overboard with waterproofing if you want it to last. i have seen alot of great enclosures ruined after short times because people either completely skip or skimp on waterproofing and end up with rotten and/or mouldy timber

could you run me through your heating in picture 3? looks very interesting :)

hi, yeh no worries.. plugged into the power board are timers. the one on the left is digital and controls 2 things as you can see. the heat matt down on the floor of the cage is plugged in the right side of the twin timer and the heat rock up in the log hide is the white ended plug fitting. the heat matt is running off of the big thermostat you can see in the picture, the heat rock has a built in thermostat and doesnt warm over 26deg. both of these though, have been turned off since mid september. the light box up top runs off of the analog dial timer on the far right and is connected to the smaller thermostat you can see in the pic. in winter i have all 3 heat souces running and they turn on and off at certain times and after a few weeks of being on the snake remembers the cycle and develops a routine of following the heat around. In the light box i have 2 uv globes and one low watt heat globe in the middle. i chose to have it external so i didnt need any light cages. i hope this makes sence?

Its looks awesome ..... only thing i would say is be careful with a heat rock make sure you have a thermostat probe pretty much on top of the heat rock itself as they can get nasty hot and ive seen many photos of burnt animals from heat rocks but it looks like a lovely enclosure

i have 2 microclimate thermos for the light box and heat matt, is the thermo thats built into the rock not sufficient? i think the box said it sits at only 26.

Last edited:
Im working on something similar for my diamond as well. How old is your snake? What mulch are you using? Also what is your preference for waterproofing?

Im working on something similar for my diamond as well. How old is your snake? What mulch are you using? Also what is your preference for waterproofing?

hi, my little guy in there is roughly 4.5 y/o & 4.5ft long, i use paper under whatever substrate i have just to help soak up the mess. the bark in this tank is the zoo med repti-bark ( from fir trees) you see in the petshops, insanely expensive but i got it half price because it was an open packet from a display tank they had set up and i still thought it was a rip off but i got it because of the convenience. you can buy bark from anywhere but you must be careful that it is clean and safe for your animals as many types can have chemicals and be heavily scented. bark is pretty high maintanance compared to paper but it looks nice and keeps the humidity pretty nice in a well ventilated enclosure. i just try to grab poos out ASAP after i see them and when i do major cage cleans i always put it in a big bucket and rinse it thoroughly to re use it. the waterproofing i used you can see in one of the pictures above in a white bucket with a red lid ( aqua-tite) its a flexible grey waterproofing mainly used to waterproof bathrooms etc. you can get stuff by the same company called pondtite, its the same stuff but its more expensive because it comes in a small range of colours. as i was grouting straight over my waterproofing it didnt matter what colour it was, any flexible waterproofing is ok, but if your using polystyrene you have to be careful what you use on it as many things can melt foam. so you need waterbased glues, waterproofing, grout etc whereever theres contact with the foam

hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back