Does anyone else make knives?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry i don't have any pics but the reason for the old files is that in modern times there are a lot of other stuff put in the metal of files and the old ones have nice high carbon content. Files fould around old farm sheds usually are fine.

thats impressive, ive used knives my whole life being a butcher and know its hard to get a good quality knife that can hold a good edge
best i found was the swibo harder to get an edge on unlike most other knives but holds the edge much longer from personal experience,

where could i go to resource on making my own knives?

good work

my dad has a knife made out of a horse shoe file that his friend made

thats impressive, ive used knives my whole life being a butcher and know its hard to get a good quality knife that can hold a good edge
best i found was the swibo harder to get an edge on unlike most other knives but holds the edge much longer from personal experience,

where could i go to resource on making my own knives?

good work

A good place to start is google "a cheapskates way to start making knives" I based my first knife on this method. Also the Spring steel i use is 5160 carbon steel. It is really not too hard to do and is very rewarding. My wife has made a very good knife.......might even be a bit better than mine...hahah.

Ps thanks for all the comments....I hope people will give it a go.......I am no expert but am happy to give any advice.

my dad has a knife made out of a horse shoe file that his friend made

Old railway spikes are very good too......you would have to beat them out flat while the metal is red hot....I want to give this ago.

One more thing on old files....they used to be very prized and some blacksmiths would even leave a small amount of the files teeth on the blade to show it was made from a file.

Great times that have passed.....I would love to have talked to an old time blacksmith.

I've always thought making blades would be a great hobby. Thanks for making this thread. Very cool knives. I would love to learn to make some stuff with damascus steel (solely for its looks - not sure how good it is for a working knife)

Wow, love the knives! I need to find someone who can sharpen knives well in Sydney as I'm not up to it and don't have the necessary equipment to change the angle on it. Personally I like the looks of the knife in the first picture. Must be an awesome and very rewarding hobby! :) Would love to see more pics.

-Will

Awesome thread, reminds me of Rambo 4, keeping snakes and making cool knives :lol:

The closest i have gone to making a knife is sharpening or adding serrations.

An old family friend who is now 90 yrs old has been making knives & swords in NZ since i can remember meeting him.
He used old crosscut sawblades as well as springsteel Have seen nice knives made from heavy duty industrial hacksaw blades Was given one as a fishing knife once was great had some of the teeth still on it for scaling alas it went overboard one rough day out

I have heard of that.....brutal times......I think I had better just stick toView attachment 150822 Jarrah. This is another one. 100feather slices through 3mil leather then 100 shavings of the jarrah block and still shaves hair.View attachment 150821
You have really hairy legs LOL. great knifes though, when you start sellin em, pm me!

Fascinating Guzzo, a good well made knife always comes in handy, keep up the good work :D

mate your my hero........ great hobby,nice work, i bought a knife in ebay not that long ago, its one of those fantasy, weird loooking shape knife but made of 440 steel. i would love to be able to make my own...

View attachment 150922View attachment 150923View attachment 150924View attachment 150925View attachment 150921
pencil.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back