Dog People Help Plz

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
A stray dog was wandering around the busy streets of town this afternoon. He was hobbling on three legs. It could have just been something in his foot but the leg he was holding up looked like it wouldn't bend. I followed this dog for over half an hour, trying to win his attention but he kept running away (boy he could move well on three legs). I went into the shop and bought some dog treats and came back out to find him. He came and tasted the treat, dropped it and fled again. I could not catch him. The one moment I could have grabbed him, I wasn't game too incase he would bite.

I am sure there are ppl here who rescue injured, sick and neglected dogs. How do you handle situations like this? How do you gain confidence and trust in a frightened dog? I wanted to take him in to the vet but I just could not get close enough to him - partially because he moved well on his three legs and partially because I was hesitating in fear of him biting.

He appeared well looked after but it was very obvious that his owner was not with him. He could be lost in a strange town, been dumped or whatever. Looked like a dingo/staffy or lab maybe - same colour as a dingo but with the body more like a lab.

There were a few other ppl concerned about him, too, so hopefully they caught him. But if he is still there tomorrow, I want to be able to help him. How can I catch him without fearing he will get cranky and bite, and without having to call the pound. If he isn't microchipped they will surely put him down, and I can't keep him because my dog would hate me for bringing another dog home.

Try using a light rope with a slip knot into a loop. Have your hand with a treat through the loop and your other hand holding the rope in a loop in the air. While the dog is trying to get the treat slowly move the loop over its head. You need to be confident because part if its nerves are your nerves, and you need to move slow but decisively to get the loop over before it shies.
Although i know how you feel about the pound, it i the best place for the dog for either return to owner or adoption, but i would firstly take it to a vet for checking of microchip and for getting the leg seen to.
Good luck.

Good idea. You should also get low, sit or squat while coaxing it to you, it will feel less threatened if it thinks it is closer to your size. Speak soft, use an outstretched hand palm up and flat, and fake the confidence till you have it.
Depending on where you are the RSPCA may be better to call than the pound, in some places they will catch the dog, it would then be sure to get the treatment it needs and a better chance at finding a home if it needs one.
I am well known by my family and friends for bringing home stray dogs, I have had plenty of furry friends temporarily stay a few nights until they're mum or dad is found and can come collect them :)

Any luck? Try casually dropping food nearby without looking at the dog. Let him get nearer and nearer to you. Try to get him alongside you and then go for the slip rope. You are only likely to get one go, so make sure before you slip it tight! Find out about your local pound before writing them off. Ours does not kill dogs unless they have a terrible problem. Other pounds get too many dogs and kill more quickly.

avoid eye contact, slow movements. dont walk directly towards it try walking horizontally next to it or herd it slowly. speak calmly and if your packing it dont talk cos they will hear it in your voice and spook. people think they and horses are so different but im telling you the above works on both

I didn't see him today :( But thank you very much for your responses. I have been looking out for him. Thanks to you guys, I will know what to do if I see him, or come across others. I hope someone else has picked him up. EVerytime he saw kids yesterday he'd run up to them then run away again. It was as though he thought it was his family and the realising it wasn't. Poor thing. I feel bad, now, for giving up.

I was trying to use soft voices while I was following him, its only when he came to check out my treats that I hesitated because I wasn't sure if he would bite. But with these thoughts up my sleeve now, I will try harder next time. I am off work for two days now, so am going to take another look around.

Best bet is to ring your local council. They can safely catch him and treat him while they get in contact with his owners. If he doesn't have any or isn't chipped, they'll treat him and put him up for adoption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back