Dragon substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkie

Reaction score
For Dragon Keepers:

Just wondering what your preferred substrate is for keeping you dragons on? I have sand at the moment, and a bit of astro turf, but I'm thinking of changing the sand part because of possible gut impaction. What does everyone use and/or recommend??

Cheers.

Hey Pinkie,
I use just red sand for my beardie and it works fine. I know people say that you shouldn't because of gut impaction but I for one think it's great. Also, just think about what they would be on in the wild. Some people use beeders choice pellets but it would be imposible for me to use as when my beardie is in eating mode, ANYTHING that moves is food including bits of bark that my accedentaly been moved right infront of him. Some use newspaper for ease of cleaning but I have the time for sand and I have heard of some dragons nails getting very long from the newspaper (not wearing them down). Thats my 2 cents
Cheers Simon

We dont keep dragons but I have seen a reputable/breeder with a huge collection of snakes and dragons.He keeps his on sand so I would imagine if there was any problems with it then he would use something else.

cheers

I don't have beardies at the moment but when I did I used dried Euchi-Mulch with no problems and the Dragons seemed to love it too :)

No worries Pinks, you should be able to get it at any good nursery or garden supplies store. Shouldn't have any problems drying it either now you are in that tropical climate up there :)

If I may I would like to offer a different kind of substrate for consideration. It is call ?Dri Deck? here in the states. . Although there are many similar products. Essentially, it is the rubber mats you find behind bars and in shower stalls. They?re easy to cut to size, come in all kinds of colors and easy to clean and disinfect. No chance of ingesting it. There are hundreds of holes that the waste falls through keeping your dragon or a snake from crawling through it. I have used it for my reptiles for ten years now. Not a single health problem to report.
I have posted a photo of my dragon and his cage in the gallery here for you to see.
Thanks
Maria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back