Driftwood?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Hey all,
I picked up a nice peice of driftwood off the beach today that I thought would be cool in my snakes enclosure. I have a feeling that it may not be safe to do so. Can someone advise whether I can or not? And if I can, do I need to do some sort of sterilization with it? He has driftwood now but that was purchased from a reptile store.
Thanks

Driftwood is a great find! Just give it a good hosing down with a strong jet of water to remove any sand, salt and debris. Then let it dry out thoroughly before utilising. It really is that easy.

For some reason people seem to think natural timber needs to be sterilised before it can be used by their captive reptiles. If that were the case, then reptiles in the wild would not use any natural timber for shelter. The reality is that there are only a few things that natural timber might contain that you do not want in the limited space of an enclosure. This includes ant colonies, wood borer grubs, if you have a wooden enclosure, and wood infested with active fungal mycelium.

You should not use any actively rotting wood infested with fungi. In nature the spores get blown away from the source. While in a captive enclosure the spores are contained and they can build up to hazardous levels. Unwanted insects can be easily disposed of by placing the wood in a large black plastic garbage bag, adding a cup of water, and leaving this in the sun for 2 or 3 days

There is absolutely no need for chemicals to “sterilize” wood intended for use as cage furnishings.

So long as no mould or fungus it's all good, I just boil pot or jug a few times and pour it over it to ensure no mites or any other little critters that I don't want to start keeping as pets. :p

Most of my snakes furniture is either driftwood or forest wood. Some still has barnacles and oyster shells.

It's a fallacy to think you can wash the sand out of it :D

I have pieces that are still leaking sand every time i take them out to clean and wash them 2 years later.

DSCF2230[1].jpg

DSCF2232[1].jpg

Driftwood is a great find! Just give it a good hosing down with a strong jet of water to remove any sand, salt and debris. Then let it dry out thoroughly before utilising. It really is that easy.

For some reason people seem to think natural timber needs to be sterilised before it can be used by their captive reptiles. If that were the case, then reptiles in the wild would not use any natural timber for shelter. The reality is that there are only a few things that natural timber might contain that you do not want in the limited space of an enclosure. This includes ant colonies, wood borer grubs, if you have a wooden enclosure, and wood infested with active fungal mycelium.

You should not use any actively rotting wood infested with fungi. In nature the spores get blown away from the source. While in a captive enclosure the spores are contained and they can build up to hazardous levels. Unwanted insects can be easily disposed of by placing the wood in a large black plastic garbage bag, adding a cup of water, and leaving this in the sun for 2 or 3 days

There is absolutely no need for chemicals to “sterilize” wood intended for use as cage furnishings.
I've done as you said and have given it a really good hose down 😊
So long as no mould or fungus it's all good, I just boil pot or jug a few times and pour it over it to ensure no mites or any other little critters that I don't want to start keeping as pets. :p
I've also boiled two jugs of water and poured it all over it. I've allowed it to completely dry out and have just placed it inside his enclosure, so we shall see how he likes it.

I live in coastal forest area, every time I do a bigger clean, I take somethings out and put different ones in (same hides, water dish etc) more just to give him some different climbing and exploring options. Yes you won't ever clean things properly but you can ensure you don't start keeping extra unwanted pets with the boiling water trick. I also avoid ones that have little hollows because don't want to take any spiders or other critters normal homes from them so try and get unused looking pieces. :)

I live in coastal forest area, every time I do a bigger clean, I take somethings out and put different ones in (same hides, water dish etc) more just to give him some different climbing and exploring options. Yes you won't ever clean things properly but you can ensure you don't start keeping extra unwanted pets with the boiling water trick. I also avoid ones that have little hollows because don't want to take any spiders or other critters normal homes from them so try and get unused looking pieces. :)
Thanks Vixen 😊

Back