Dry Ice and Fluon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

Reaction score
Anybody know if common stores (eg, Big W, Mitre 10, etc) sell Dry Ice and Fluon and if so about how much. Thanx ^^

Jay

I use to get dry ice (co2) from CIG/BOC gas suppliers when I was a plant mech, sometime the local Streets ice cream had it as well. Don't know of anyone but the herp shop for fluon.

Dry ice is not liquid nitrogen.
Dry ice is frozen CO2.

What do people use dry ice for in terms of herping? or has it got nothing to do with herping

You can get dry ice for freighting frozen rats and mice. We don't . We put in a 2 ltr bottle of frozen mice/rats and get the product to our cussies that way. Well you have to be at the airport to pick em up hey??? Cheers Cheryl

I was told dry ice can be used to humanely put rodents to sleep.
Have an airtight container which you place the rodents in, then a small dish of boiling water in the container, then drop the dry ice in the water and pop the lid on. Night night rodents.
If however this is not the case, how can CO2 be used to effectively kill rodents as I have gone off the brick method recently (instant kill but man was there blood :shock: ).

Jay

Fluon is teflon paint and I think some hardware stores sell it although it is quite expensive. Your best option is to get it from the herp shop for $18.

As to the dry ice, we bought some from the ice works and it was about $20-30/4 kg :)

Cheryl - you might want to chuck a few more frozen bottles in. Some of my stuff was starting to thaw.

Sounds like a method to try. Zoe's I mean, not that starving them isnt also good Afric. :roll:
So do all people here that breed there own rats use the brick method or is there another technique I could try if the homemade CO2 fails??

Jay

for rats i either gass em or fling em onto the ground or hit em with whatever is avaliable i hate touching live rats the bastards bite

Jay said:
I was told dry ice can be used to humanely put rodents to sleep.
Have an airtight container which you place the rodents in, then a small dish of boiling water in the container, then drop the dry ice in the water and pop the lid on. Night night rodents.
If however this is not the case, how can CO2 be used to effectively kill rodents as I have gone off the brick method recently (instant kill but man was there blood :shock: ).

Jay
Jay, we purchase a gas bottle of CO2 from BOC gases to put our rats to sleep. Actually pubs etc, use it for their beer gas hey? Cheers Cheryl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back