duck tape??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rascal779

Reaction score
A friend decided to seal up a section of his enclosure with duck tape. That is after their python got out by pushing away some weld mesh.

The plan was to seal it up and fix it during the week, well.....it sealed it up all right! but it also caught the python!

now the python has duck tape stuck to it, not much, maybe about the size of a 20cent coin.

So....should I leave it there till it sheds? or does anyone know of a way to remove the tape without hurting the snake with solvents? It wont just peel off, it seems to me that scales will come off before the tape lets go!

Any suggestions?

the olive is about 4.5ft
the tape is an inch back from her head, doesnt seem to bother her but cant be doing any good.

Tryed water, but...the reason duck tape is soo good is coz it isnt affected by water, lol....
I thought of trying eucalyptas or tea tree oil but didnt want to do that until I had confirmation from someone that knows its ok to use. I cant imagine there would be a problem....but, you never know......
failing that, there is metholated spirits?

I dont want to use anything until someone can say that a certain product is ok.

if it isnt restricting the snake at all then leave it there till the next shed dont even try to remove it, if it is causing problems get your hands on a product called citrus off, it is an all natural orange based liquid that will disolve the glue without hurting the animal.

Dont use eucalyptus oil it is harmful to the snake (to concentrated) if you cant get the citrus off try peanut butter (only hassle with that is it requires a fair amount of time to soak in to soften the glue up)

Best of luck
Matt

Citrus oil is also harmful, It causes nerve damage. Soaking in tepid water will help as will a bit of olive oil as opposed to peanut butter.
"The easiest way without any damage is metho and some cotton wool buds.
One of you hold the snake while the other slowly swabs the sticky side and peels till it comes off."
I guess its called duck tape because it has a down side.
You probably mean duct tape

Quack. :D

Got to love the stuff. I found a roll when diving in the Swan River in WA once. The cardboard inner was completely rotted away, but the tape was perfect and is still in my dive bag and going strong. Great for on the spot fix-ups.

As mentioned above, water will do nothing for it. My roll is proof of that. I would go the attempt with Olive Oil. If you want to try a detergent on it, use Chlorhexidine Surgical Scrub and rinse well after and failing that working, just leave it there.

You could try putting a little Duct Tape on a smooth surface and experimenting with it's removal with Olive Oil/Chlorhexidine/Metho/Prayer first and save the snake from undue stress experimenting on it's body.

Eucalyptus oil should be the go here. If snakes were alergic to it, then i doubt you would see any snakes in the australian bush would you????? And if its good enough for my chest when i have a cold, i reckon it wont harm the snake one bit.

Thanks for all the advice!
Heaps more than expected!

I will trial the ideas and let you all know how I got on.....

Hey Peterescue...you havent had a go at me yet either, just following up from your post in chit chat. I think you might actually be a nice person...you helped!
Ive got one up on you now! I 'could' tell everyone you are actually helpful and NICE! ~~ or I could hold that wild card to my chest...

Thanks everyone

A nice person, Thats a strange thought, could it be possible have to go getting a migraine........

I decided to attach my thermostat to the side of my snake cage for my new female hatchling.
The next morning i walked past and commented to my wife "look the snake is up early" She shreeked at mesaying the snake was stuck as she had managed to slither behind the thermostat into the duck tape and stick herself completely.
Me i was calling absolutely everyone i could possibly think of as i was in panic attack mode.
I cut the tape from the thermostat and placed my hatchling in a bath full of waterleaving her to soak for 15 minutes.
Then i pulled the tape of which took her first layer of scales leaving her to look rather ordinary until she shed again.
Now she had shed and is almost due for her next shed she is back to being her beautiful self again.

duct tape

Peterescue, It is duct tape but its common name is duck tape. selleys product.

And yes....It does live up to its name and have a down side, lol....hope that migrain from being nice is under control!
A nice glass of Shiraz or a bundy on the rocks will fix that ailment.

RE: duct tape

LOl Al, your a bloody champ, you can take the Sh&t and dish it! I like that! :D :wink:

RE: duct tape

Yeah, bit of fun and joking harrassment never hurt anyone!!!! :) ;)

Re: RE: duck tape??

Teamsherman said:
Eucalyptus oil should be the go here. If snakes were alergic to it, then i doubt you would see any snakes in the australian bush would you????? And if its good enough for my chest when i have a cold, i reckon it wont harm the snake one bit.
I don't know if the eucalyptus oil would be good or bad for snakes, but to clarify, the oil product is not found naturally in the aussie bush. It takes a lot of work boiling eucalyptus solids and distilling for the oil product and can't be found in the bush in the concentrations found in the bottle on the supermarket shelves.

Eucalyptus oil, neat, burns my daughter and has to be diluted with Olive Oil for a cold treatment application.

As I said, I don't know if it would be good or bad for a snake, but if you do decide to experiment for yourself, I would have Olive Oil handy, to break down the concentration if needed and a detergent product to wash it off quickly if you have to.
I would also use it in a well ventilated room, or have a fan trained on the snake to blow fumes away as you work. It can get very powerful smell wise and can be overpowering to humans, with two large functioning lungs. I wouldn't like to have to deal with the consequences and possible eosphigeal burns if a snakes respiritory system couldn't deal with it.

(No apologies for any spelling errors contained within, it's late!) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back