Easter with Bilbies! DUW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Volunteered up at a place called Scotia Sanctuary over easter, it's a large property in western NSW. Parts of the property have been enclosed by a large feral proof fence and they have got rid of all the rabbits, foxes and cats within it, allowing the re-introduction of some of our native mammals.

I'll start with the birds I managed to snap:
Yellow Thornbill, Acanthiza nana
NailTail006.jpg

Red-capped Robin, Petroica goodenovii
Scotia050.jpg

The fence and habitat
Scotia002.jpg

You'd swear there is nothing there during the day (except an overabundance of diggings and the odd wallaby) but at night it comes to life with bilbies, wallabies and bettongs.

Bridled Nailtail Wallaby, Onychogalea fraenata, these guys are a small wallaby named for the claw on the tip of their tails.
NailTail031.jpg

Scotia085.jpg

And the Bilby, Macrotis lagotis, these guys have to be the funniest animal I've ever seen, it was easy to see why they're nearly extinct haha. They're fairly slow runners and often bump into shrubs and stumble over grasses as they flee :lol: - I think this is partially due to being blinded by the car lights a bit (I hadn't yet been told they're sensitive to light when I took my photos, but it didn't seem to worry them).
Scotia027.jpg

"Boodie" aka Burrowing Bettong, Bettongia lesueur. These guys have a white tip on their tail.
Scotia017.jpg

"Woylie" aka Brush-tailed Bettong, Bettongia penicillata, mid stride. They have a bushy brown tail.
Scotia061.jpg

Although not native to the area, they also had "Mala" aka Rufous Hare Wallaby, Lagorchestes hirsutus, in a breeding pen as an insurance population. These guys were really cute with their little T-rex arms.
NailTail021.jpg

And if none of that was very exciting for you we did also come across a few herps!

Juv V. gouldii
Scotia073.jpg

H. binoei
Scotia070.jpg

Male C. pictus
Scotia077.jpg

O. marmorata - thanks for the go of the flashes Adam
Scotia032.jpg

And lastly a very average-about-to-shed looking P. nigriceps
Scotia062.jpg

Great post, must have been a really interesting place to visit.

Are some of the animals they have reintroduced breeding yet?

Also roughly how big is the fenced area?

nice pics jordo, thats a really good one of the red capped robin. might have to steal that lens off you next time i see ya hahaha

Thanks for the replies, the nailtails are so cute. They had some orphanes there that would come up and lick you - wanted to steal one haha.

The whole sanctuary is about 65,000 ha in size according to the website but not sure how big the fenced areas are. There are 2 seperate stages - stage 1 has numbats, stick nest rats, boodies, woylies, nail tails and bilbies. Stage 2 has nail tails, woylies, and bilbies. Apart from the numbats and stick nest rats (for which they haven't done much work on yet so they don't know) everything is thriving and breeding. The woylies seem to be outcompeted by the boodies so they were introduced into stage 2 without the boodies to compete with.

Here's the site as well: http://www.australianwildlife.org/AWC-Sanctuaries/Scotia-Sanctuary.aspx

Thanks.
Yeah Ryan, you should tee up a visit there one day, you have to drive 30kms/h just so you don't hit them.

Nice pics Jordo - looks like it would have been a great trip!
That little sand monitor is sooo cute :D

Yeah it was a great trip. It's good to see a lot of different animals rather than just herps all the time.

that C.pictus is awesome you where very lucky to geta photo of it the little buggers are like roadrunners

Great shots. Hmm... will definitely need to go back once finished studying. The bird photos are brilliant - which lens did you use?

Dave.

that C.pictus is awesome you where very lucky to geta photo of it the little buggers are like roadrunners
pfft, they're easy, you've never tried to get a sandy have you?

Great shots. Hmm... will definitely need to go back once finished studying. The bird photos are brilliant - which lens did you use?

Dave.

Birds and mammals with the 70-300mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back