Eels.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleigh:]

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if anyone could please give me some info on eels.
Like, what species, care, what size tank, food etc.

Is it possible to feed them bloodworms or anything apart from live fish & how often?
And I only have a 3.5tank, would that be big enough?
And what price do they go for & does anyone know if theres anyone that has them for sale in the brisbane area?

Cheers, Ashleigh :)

LOL go the EELS!!!!

the aquarium that first got me loving eels was in Brisbane. They had a Zebra Moray in a tank that wasnt for sale but they said they could get a few spieces in if i wanted... thing is... i just cannot think of the place i went to as it was a while ago...

sorry Ash

Salt water,,, mooray eel, feed it frozen white bait. Had one for 2 years and he loved me, I could hand feed him and even put my fingers in his razor sharp mouth without a single bite!!!! Snowflake eel got me a few times though Just like hitting your finger with a hammer!!!! OUCH!!

perhaps do some online yellow paging...? in fact... i will and see if anything jogs my memory :D

Thanks nre.
There was a great aquarium shop at morayfield years ago, across from the shopping centre.
But they havent been around for years. :)

dont know much about them but fresh water eles are great bait for gummy sharks

Adam, Its for my bf, so i dont really know much about setting up aquariums and stuff, but hwo do you maintain a salt water tank?
And how much does the 'frozen white bait' cost & how often to feed it?

Cheers

take a look at www.masa.asn.au

It stands for marine associtation societies Australia.

It's a very informative site and you will find all you need to know there

I have a snowflake eel which is just over 2ft long in a 4x2x2 tank with around 10 other fish.

He has been in there a few months and hasn't touched any fish and I have never fed him live food. He eats prawns, mussles, squid and whiting

I dont knowe the Brisbane area at all but if you're near Pet City, call in there and ask to speak to Andrew. He uses the masa forum, manages pet city and is very knowlegable when it somes to marine

Cheers
Mel

Freshwater or saltwater?
I used to have spiny eels. Freshwater from S.E. Asia. Tyre track and fire eels are similar but get bigger (i think up to 2 ft.)
They eat anything they can fit in their mouths.

1 kilo of frozen white bait used to last me about a month and cost $7. Salt water is pretty easy for just eels but hard for corals an fish to mantain. 1/3 water change every 2 weeks and a VERY good filter system, usually a mini reef is the best way to keep them. That means the tank filters to a smaller tank under the main tank. A bit expensive to setup but REALLY worth it!!!!! I fed every second day and only as much as he would eat by hand. I WOULD NOT SUGGEST hand feeding untill you KNOW the eel. Mooray eels can cause horrific damage!!!!

WOW melm, my snowflake was 4 foot long in a 4x2x2 and any live fish would never last more than 2 minutes!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
white bait u can eat that stuff in nz it is eatin by eveery one y would u feed it to eels i would feed it blood worms and fish

Well hwo do you maintain both fresh & salt water?
and how what sort of snake would be suitable for a 3.5ft tank?
Cheers :)

Adam, as i said i dont know much about setting up aquariums and stuff but apparently his got a very very good filter.. like yer i dont know.
And like how do you get salt water??
:)

blood worms are not a suitable food for marine fish. Blood worms have little nutritional value and are sometimes used in a marine aquarium to get a fussy eater to start feeding - otherwise they are not recommended.

I bought a dozen prawns for me eel yesterday and it cost me $1.65. He will eat 2 - 3 of these every 3rd day or so.

Please go the the masa site as mini reef set ups that have been mentioned here aren't really recommended anymore. your eally need to look into all filtration available before you decide which way to go. It's expensive when you get it wrong!

I have learnt the hard way to research, research and research before doing anything with marine.

It isn't difficult but there is 'alot' to learn.

I have kept Tropical Fish for a while and there are some great fresh water eels that are cheap and easy to look after

Yer I understand melm, just like before i got my snake, i researched & researched.

I will call a few local aquarium shops & get some advise off them.

Salt water comes from the ocean:D

Seriously - that's where most of us get it from. can't beat nsw (natural sea water)

Yes saltwater has to ebe tested, for all sorts of things (I think this was one of your questions)

Basic test kits to keep on hand would be nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, kh, calcium and salinity also needs to be tested with an instrument such as a refractometer

there are also tests available for copper, phosphate, magnesium among other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back