Egg condensation question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofoula88

Reaction score
So as my female is gravid and hopefully will lay soon I am getting everything I can ready for the big moment so I am prepared.. I like trying things out and seing what works and what dosent usually before doing anything, so anyway I got some vermiculite yday and was thinking of using the cricket/Chinese containers I get my crickets in from the pet shop as they already have holes.. So I put the vermiculite in,put in water..at first I def put too much..then drained some and when I held it In my hands only a few drops of water came out (dunno if thats still too much) , then I put glad wrap over the container,and used a kebab skewer to poke through so I can make as many or as little holes as I want.. I know it already has too many holes for incubation so hence the glad idea.. Then I also cut a small hole for my thermometer probe.. Anyway I left it like that overnight and woke up and it has abit of condensation on the lid.. I know if there is condensation that's a good sign the humidity is good, but u dnt want too much.. And if drops falls on the egg it can drown it?.. Anyway basically jst wanna know if that sounds about right and if there is too much co sensation what can I do to stop it?.. Maybe I put too much water in the vermiculite?.. Or didn't make enough holes?.. Anyway again any advice would be helpful.. Glad I tested this out before I put the eggs in though =]

I find it much easier to weigh the amounts of water and vermic , much better than just guessing.
For my gecko tubs I weigh out 20 grams of vermic , then 20 grams of water give it a good mix around and they are good to go.

To have condensation on the lid over night it sounds to wet to me , I rarely get any on the lids of any of mine.
At the most I get a slight fog on the lid in the last few days and that's it.

Water dripping onto the eggs is not good , they will not last long if that's happening.

Last edited:
water dripping on the eggs is not good, if it drips, its too wet.
replace some of the wet vermiculite with dry stuff.

im only breeding geckos, and for them the containers are totally sealed.

i use 60:40 (vermiculite to water) by weight
50:50 was too wet and i had heavy condensation every morning, that would have dripped by the end of the day.
(which would have also killed beardy eggs, due to the dripping)

doh, dicky beat me. :p

when i used the chineese containers [ had crickets in them with the holes in the lid] i left the holes in the lid , no glad wrap- nothing . i put the incubators temp probe and humihitys probe in the chineese container [ next to the eggs] and all bar 2 eggs hatched .

Yeh I think I'll try again tonight minus the glad wrap and maybe less water..

Good thing is I have time to muck around.. I think I'll try using a measuring cup tonight and do the 60-40 ratio.. See how that goes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back