eggs died

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miffy

Reaction score
Ok my Jungles laid eggs for the first time. Most were pretty mangy looking things however two looked reasonable. These two reasonable eggs were surviving and looking good then at about the 6 week mark suddenly turned rancid and died.

I have taken a photo of the egg I opened and shows that it was a fertilised egg with a snake growing in it. I also show the set up i had, as not sure whey they suddenly went bad.

1) Eggs were incubated via suspension over water method in a sealed "large tupperware" container
2) Lid of the container was opened every few days to allow fresh air into the container
3) Water was not changed but level remained the same
4) Incubator was set at 31 degrees on a thermostat with thermometer inside so I could make sure the temperature was staying consistent
5) The other bad eggs were removed from the container when I was sure they had gone off

Not sure what went wrong as those last two eggs were looking good and suddenly went off over a 24 hour period.

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 170
  • snake-eggs.jpg
    snake-eggs.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 169
  • snakeegg1.jpg
    snakeegg1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 162
Did they get any condensation or drips on them? Water drops will kill them.

My Guess would have to be that they were somewhere in contact with the water judging by the look of those eggs.

My Guess would have to be that they were somewhere in contact with the water judging by the look of those eggs.

They definitely were not in contact with the water at the bottom of the container they were suspended above , however it is possible condensation drips may have gone onto the eggs.

Does everyone have a sealed lid or a few little holes on it?

Lid might need to be redesigned so that its a pitched shape so water runs to the side of container?

I keep mine sealed. Though the only time I've used water and egg crate didn't turn out well for me.
Really you should only be getting condensation up the sides of the container. If heat is coming from underneath it may be a problem.

I've always had good results with vermiculite and water at equal weights. Maybe try that next time...

Last edited by a moderator:
The eggs should be higher over the water than that. I can't see how you could have water in that setup without it touching the eggs. Is it just the photo or is the grate really that close to the bottom?

The eggs should be higher over the water than that. I can't see how you could have water in that setup without it touching the eggs. Is it just the photo or is the grate really that close to the bottom?

Hi

It's just the photo, the grate has little legs under it you prolly can see. Was bought from a reptile shop.

What about for up here (Townsville) where it is already pretty humid, would I need water to incubate the eggs when I'm due to.

I tried for a while to incubate some quail eggs with the incubator I got and had to drill some extra holes in the lid as the temp kept regularly going too high without going back down despite the inbuilt fan and thermostat, eventually got it right by covering up the extra holes at night and uncovering them during the day.

I noticed I had to use way less water than my southern counterparts as without the water the humidity in it was already about 56%
I'm keen to get into breeding my woma, some sp of gecko's and sp of skinks, hence why I'm asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back