Emydura macquarri questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

Reaction score
Looking for information from turtle keepers on the site, specifically Emydura maquarii. Looking for information on growth rate for both sexes, average age of adulthood, optimum temperature (I was told about 24-28 ), and do they come on land much? Ive only had my lil one since yesterday, but I havent seen her climb on land yet. She seems happy enough just swimming round and sleeping underwater :) . shes in a 2ft long by 1 ft wide by 10cm deep(of water) but I havent got a filter in there atm. Planning on cleaning her tank every 3 days, but will clean sooner if recommended.

Cheers,
Jay

I got two Emydura macquarri's a few weeks ago and for the first few days I didn't see one of them come on the land at all. I have the temperature in there at about 26 degrees. One of them seems to enjoy coming on the land quite a bit but the other hardly ever comes up and seems content standing on top of a rock with it's head out of the water.

I personally would lower the water temp a few degrees and put a spot in for the extra temp. You will also need to put your uv close to the waters surface as itdoesnt travel very far. They dont seem to come out of the water much at this stage.
Depending on the feedingregimen you have it will grow to an adult size in 3 to 10 years. The more you feed the faster it grows. This may effect its overall health in years to come. If you dont feed it enough it wont grow properly and have all sorts of health problems so dont try to keepit small by underfeeding.
o you know what subspecies it is?

Ah ok, might lower it a bit then..I was just going off what I've read and been told :) I was advised that during the summer not to worry about a spotty and to just leave it as is? Going to have to invest in one for winter anyway...

I have a Macquarie Shortneck who is about 9 months old and is already 4 inches across the shell. He basks alot, I think you will find if you put a heat lamp or something in so that the basking spot is a couple of degrees warmer than the water they are more likely to bask. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sometimes they dont like basking with people around, it may bask when your not around.

Also they are extremely messy, You should invest in a beefy filter. But still expect to do a water change every week. (maybe more depending on the size of the tank) I also had a two footer when he was little, and had to upgrade to a 4ft tank after a couple of months because they grow so fast. I'm gonna have to upgrade my 4ft to an 8 footer in about 6 months if he keeps growing the way he is. They are an expensive hobby but are very rewarding. They are very active and great to watch.

Anyway hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back