Enclosure cooling methods

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djbekz

Reaction score
So spring is finally here and the temperatures are starting to rise! I'm in Brissy and noticed my enclosure room ambient temperatures are starting to get reasonably high at 29 degrees. As a result my temperature gradient is starting to narrow. Once we start hitting mid 30's, it looks possible that my enclosure could have a solid gradient of 32+ degrees even, for a stretch of hours during the day.

I was curious as to what cooling methods everyone else uses if the ambient temperatures rise too much. Unfortunately air conditioning isn't really an option for me. So far I have thought of:

- Moving the enclosure to a cooler room. This one is not ideal and I will be moving soon and potentially lose that option (fingers crossed the rooms at the new house will be cooler anyway)
- Ensuring the water bowl is large enough as temperature will remain more stable in water through the high heat of the day. If it gets too hot I am assuming he will go for a swim rather than overheat?
- Ice packs covered in a tea towel. Really not sure how long they would last or how effective it would be

Any thoughts on the above or other methods would be great!

I use a fan at this time of year and air con in summer. Any reason why a portable air con is not an option?

You won't have to worry except during heat waves, then all you need to do is put it on the floor, and if that's still not enough to keep it below 35-36 then cover with a damp towel, or hang a damp towel in the enclosure.

Jamie

To get a decent heat gradient you have to use lots of electricity ;)
I cool my reptile room to at least 27. While heating the vivs warm spot to 33.
Lots of people use air con to cool their house, while at the same time heating their reptiles.

Lots of people use air con to cool their house, while at the same time heating their reptiles.

For normal summer temps this is pretty much unnecessary, especially if the nights cool down.

Jamie

Senator - I actually didn't think of a portable air con for some reason. :facepalm: I guess it would be expensive but its a possible option.

Jamie - Thanks for that info. I think you also answered another question I was thinking of; if pythons are hardy enough to handle five or six hours of high temps if they have the option of cooling through the evening and night.

I agree with Jamie. Unless temps are getting into the late 30s and staying above 30 into the night, it's not going to kill them. All I ever do during the middle of summer is offer a really large water container for them to submerge themselves in.

One other thing to remember is if you know a bit of a heat wave is coming, don't feed your snakes. A 40° degree day straight after feeding is a recipe for trouble.

I've discovered that :/ this week I've had to have the air con on all day and CHEs (ambient 36 degrees without) Very glad I got my humidity issue sorted before this. 50-60% even with air con.

Someone suggested cool gel pads in enclosures, would that be a better idea than air con? It's going to be interesting come wet season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back