Endangered species released into Wild!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow congrats craig, gonna pm you with a question i got

Are they all hatchlings being released Gab?

Would it be better to release say yearlings, or 2-3 year olds etc for a greater chance of survival or anything?

Fantastic thing you guys are doing, there cute little buggers, Ive caught the turtle bug too now...

Are they all hatchlings being released Gab?

Would it be better to release say yearlings, or 2-3 year olds etc for a greater chance of survival or anything?

Fantastic thing you guys are doing, there cute little buggers, Ive caught the turtle bug too now...

Hi Pugsly,
Unfortunately we are only allowed to release them within a few months of them hatching so they don't develop a dependency on humans and their natural instincts aren't lost!

Also, it has been proven that most turtles don't survive mainly due to the eggs being predated or taken during their journey to the water. After that the survivability statistics escalate quite high.

Cheers,

Craig-AFTCRA Inc.

Good work on the extra egg's you guy's, I would love to buy that mary river turtles, shame i don't have the money nor the room for an adult Mary, on day, one day!

Keep up the good work!

Kane

Good work on the extra egg's you guy's, I would love to buy that mary river turtles, shame i don't have the money nor the room for an adult Mary, on day, one day!

Keep up the good work!

Kane

Hi Kane,

If the Mary River turtle outgrows your enclosure then you can swap it for a hatchling later on down the track!

This way you will be helping to raise a turtle that can later enter into the breeding genepool and our breeding program. That is if you do want to swap it for a new hatchy!

Cheers,

Craig
AFTCRA Inc.

Hi Pugsly,
Unfortunately we are only allowed to release them within a few months of them hatching so they don't develop a dependency on humans and their natural instincts aren't lost!

Also, it has been proven that most turtles don't survive mainly due to the eggs being predated or taken during their journey to the water. After that the survivability statistics escalate quite high.

Cheers,

Craig-AFTCRA Inc.

good to hear that cos I had the exact same thoughts as Pugsly...:)

Keep the good work goin and I honestly hope there r more people like u'r selves in other countries also where good number of species are steadily disappearing...:(.

Makes sense!

Great stuff guys, a very proud achievement.

60? That is a big effort. they look well conditioned. I hope they are laying clutches of their own in a few years

Hey Anthony (and everyone else), it actually takes 25 years for these guys to be able to breed in the wild. Yes, thats 25 years!!! Maybe only 15 years in captivity cause they seem to eat better.

This is just a little bit of info to perhaps make people realise just how endangered these guys are.

Now lots of people have replied to this thread. That is great. But replies mean little. PLease join AFTCRA or buy a T Shirt. That is th eonly way we can assure that people like Craig (who gave up their career to devote to these turtles) can continue their struggle.

Come on please folks. Do you just want to watch the parade or do you actually want be a part of the parade.

Hey Anthony (and everyone else), it actually takes 25 years for these guys to be able to breed in the wild. Yes, thats 25 years!!! Maybe only 15 years in captivity cause they seem to eat better.

This is just a little bit of info to perhaps make people realise just how endangered these guys are.

Now lots of people have replied to this thread. That is great. But replies mean little. PLease join AFTCRA or buy a T Shirt. That is th eonly way we can assure that people like Craig (who gave up their career to devote to these turtles) can continue their struggle.

Come on please folks. Do you just want to watch the parade or do you actually want be a part of the parade.

Hi Rastass, thanks for that!
This Fri, Sat and Sunday we are being paid(expenses only) to go to Rockhampton for Greening Australia to do a talk and take with us the 6 species of turtles from the Fitzroy River. We will be doing talks at schools and on Saturday, the Rockhampton Zoo. We will also be interviewed by the ABC on Friday morning. Most people are not aware that we are also involved in the recovery of the Fitzroy River turtle that is listed as vulnerable!

Regards,

Craig
AFTCRA Inc.

bump with a few pics :)

100OLYMP-P3170231_P3170231.jpg

100OLYMP-P3170230_P3170230.jpg

100OLYMP-P3160119_P3160119.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back