exotic fish, is that legal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexander

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just saw a add on this site, where someone was selling some aquariums, in the tanks was different types of chiclids and betas.

Im from Europe so I just have to ask:
Is it legal to import exotic fish to Australia and not exotic reptiles? Isnt that strange!?

regards
Alexander

Yes it is strange, but its the way it is. They even allow potentially invasive species and usually only ban them once they are a problem. Sometimes they dont even ban them, you can still get carp in Australia eventhough they are highly destructive and im fairly sure they arnt in all the river systems yet(could be wrong on that)

Dont forget all the different exotic birds, rabbits and cats:)evil:) we can get as well...

Hardly seems right considering how destructive some of these species are....

Ah yes the bizarre vagueries of our wildlife laws. Don't even try to make sense of them, you'll just get a headache.

Boa, a headache would be the least of it, more likely your head will explode. But I have to ask, fair enough the laws arn't...fair....lol..but which way would people rather it go (in order to make them 'fair':
1) Ban exotic birds, cats, fish, etc (cause, as people have already stated, they ARE destructive)
or
2) Allow exotic snakes?

Just curious is all

I would choose 1, but it obviously isnt a realistic option.

Yes it is strange, but its the way it is. They even allow potentially invasive species and usually only ban them once they are a problem. Sometimes they dont even ban them, you can still get carp in Australia eventhough they are highly destructive and im fairly sure they arnt in all the river systems yet(could be wrong on that)
yep then you have the animal rights lunatics who believe pest animals shouldnt be destroyed:rolleyes:

yep then you have the animal rights lunatics who believe pest animals shouldnt be destroyed:rolleyes:

i'm one of those guys i think ... well not quite.. for example - i agree cane toads should be eradicated... i just don't think hitting them with golf-clubs is the right way to do it... it's not the fault of these animals they're poisonous and ugly and introduced and killing wildlife. nor is it okay to run over cats.. though i hate them more than i can say using child friendly language...

i agree but fish cant run away

But people are idiots. The fish may grow bigger than expected or they may get bored of the fish and off they go to dump them in the local creek. Soon the creek has its own little population, then the fish move down stream, breeding as they go. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.

As an example. The Molongolo river in Canberra flows into the Murrimbidgee which flows into the Murray. In theory if you release goldfish etc from Kambah Pools in Canberra, then given enough time they could end up in Adelaide.

As far as I'm concerned exotic species should not be permitted to be brought into Australia. Look what all the introduced species have already done.........................Especially the New Zealanders.

only some fish you can not bring into australia. Alot of those if they are here you can keep them just can not bring them in

I think you will find that most birds in pet stores are australian....
Its not like americans keep budgies, they are an australian bird, they keep pigeons(how exciting) lol:)

Marine fish kind of arent owned by a country, since they can kind of swim to other countries (as well as with some birds)
and its not like a snake has ever run away...

you will find a lot of the fish nowadays are bred in australia.

the exotic birds were already in australia when they brought in the laws, and then they brought in the licensing system and it went from there so they were allowed to stay in the country and went on license and went from there but you can't import or export birds anymore since 1995.

Well thank you all for chimming in on this query of mine.. Must say it is strange they allow exotics at ALL..

a buddy of mine told me ferrets have been allow to import to Oz? If so thats just stupid..

serenaphoenix, I hear you on the cat issue, I hate cats and Im allergic to the filthy things too and who do the all the cats love..... me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back