Experienced keepers/ breeders, would love you to have a look.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Not a question, but someone on here mentioned posting pics so that they could keep an eye on my snakes condition while he's not eating.

It's been weeks since I handled him. He looks pretty good to me! Condition of his skin seems better since changing his housing. Sorry the video is crap, I didn't realise it was blurry. Zoom in on the pic, his eyes look a little blue perhaps....
PXL_20221011_035202987.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221011_034635420.mp4
    30.7 MB
When my guys skin wrinkles up like that in folds it means they will shed soon mate. Dunno much about your breed, but it's possible.

He shed late June a few weeks after getting him and hasn't since. Has looked like this the whole time I've had him on and off and to varying degrees to be honest.

No idea what humidity is like, was told on here that devices to measure humidity are not accurate and not to worry about it. He has a large water bowl (could fit three of him in there) and his housing has been changed to the recommended "click clack" design.

I'll try a bath in next few days if shedding is infact imminent.

As i say, i'm inexperienced with your species of snake, just relating my experience. If he's always looked like that then disregard.

A bath is an unnecessary disturbance. If it needs to, it will likely take its own bath when the time comes. Misting the viv is all that is required to help a snake that is on the dehydrated side to shed. A water bowl the size you speak of will maintain plenty of humidity and reduce the snake's water loss through breathing. If you regularly give it fresh water two or three times a week, there is no reason it should not be drinking when it needs to. Shedding is to allow for growth, and growth is dependent on food intake. It may shed, but is unlikely to do so until some time after it starts eating again. It seems to me you are trying to fix a problem that does not exist.

PS The video did not work for me.

Last edited:
@Mack86, I should have mentioned in my previous response that, in the context of shedding, a bath is normally used to help soften and remove any retained skin after a shed. It is important to note that whenever giving a snake a bath, the water should be only TEPID. That means around 30oC and no higher. If the water feels warm to your touch, then it is too hot for the snake.

At the beginning of the “Australian Snakes” section in “The Species Forums”, there is a sticky thread titled “The Shedding Process”. I reckon you might find this an interesting read.

Back