F10 omg

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Just a few points here - Lewy, firstly F10 Hand Gel is designed to last longer on the hands to maximise killing efficacy (as noted by Helikaon). 10 secs dry on the hand is killing basically nothing! Also note that Bioguard Gel you have a link to is not Trigene, they don't as far as I'm aware have a gel at all. Also agree with Sadji who noted that OPMV is most likely not killed by most gels due to inadequate contact time so physical washing is a requirement.

Secondly, note that any info you find online on Trigene that refers to the "new" nanotechnology formulation is not relevent to the Trigene you can buy in Australia - the APVMA has only a registration for the "old" version. So don't get confused about what are essentially two totally different products.

As the F10 agent (and microbiologist) in Australia, we believe F10 to be a far better product that Trigene. Both are good disinfectants when it comes to killing pathogens, but F10 is the safer by far. I don't believe you could leave Trigene unrinsed in your enclosures the way you can with F10. Usage costs are generally about the same as F10 dilution ratios are higher.

Cheers all,

Andrew Chalmers
Chemical Essentials Pty Ltd
http://www.chemicalessentials.com.au

So just out of curiosity, if Aqium (which i use after a good scrub and left to air dry) is not really that good especially if not used properly, why do all the WA (dunno bout other states) hospitals use Aqium, if there are better things around???

If you're really keen to do a better job, I'd go for Chlorhexadine, or better still, Microshield.

Sdaji, are you suggesting using Microshield for your hands only or also to disinfect enclosures?

I use F10sc on all my enclosures and mix it up to the strongest concentration of 1:125 and leave it to soak for at least half an hour. When going from enclosure to enclosure i simply spry the F10sc all over my hands and arms and dont worry about drying them, it just air dry`s by itself. It`s not going to hurt anything having wet hands!

Disposable latex/rubber gloves are very cheap these days. Change gloves between enclosures. No mess, no fuss, much reduced risk.

Imagine how much waste your creating - if people with large collections used your method they would be creating huge amounts of land fill every year way to much pollution me thinks!!
I use F10 to disinfect my enclosuers and I use the F10 hand gel - you must have used way to much as i have never had that problem try using a little amount and see what happens, I find one pump is to much so I use half a pump and it leaves my hand feeling soft and smooth like a babys bum hahaha.
There is so much out there that can be used it just a matter of finding what right for you.
Good luck
Nat

So just out of curiosity, if Aqium (which i use after a good scrub and left to air dry) is not really that good especially if not used properly, why do all the WA (dunno bout other states) hospitals use Aqium, if there are better things around???

Im guessing that its designed to kill germs related to human infections not reptiles. Im pretty sure we dont get the smae things reptiles get but someone will correct me if im wrong

Aquim/micro shield hand gels are used by health workers ONLY as a barrier, you stil have to wash hands and take precautions against germs. I recently had a scare where I purchased a reptile with possible IBD, after returning the snake to the owner, ive done vast reasearch into disinfectants and which is best. F10 affects the gram positive germs that most disinfectants dont. IBD comes into this catergory. Now I dont know about most people but I have a lot of money and time invested in my collection and dont want to take the risk of loosing it. I dont mind forking out the extra expence to make sure my collection is safe. Every vet I have talked to use F10, so im not about to use other "light precautions"

Aquim/micro shield hand gels are used by health workers ONLY as a barrier, you stil have to wash hands and take precautions against germs. I recently had a scare where I purchased a reptile with possible IBD, after returning the snake to the owner, ive done vast reasearch into disinfectants and which is best. F10 affects the gram positive germs that most disinfectants dont. IBD comes into this catergory. Now I dont know about most people but I have a lot of money and time invested in my collection and dont want to take the risk of loosing it. I dont mind forking out the extra expence to make sure my collection is safe. Every vet I have talked to use F10, so im not about to use other "light precautions"
Are you saying that F10 hand gel use means you dont have to wash soiled hands anymore, WOW, THAT STUFF IS GOOD. All hand gels are only used between washes, and as far as i know microshield is as good as it gets,

DDALDD. Where did you get the idea that microshield could be used for enclosures:?
That is strictly F10 territory. Undisputed!

DDALDD. Where did you get the idea that microshield could be used for enclosures:?
That is strictly F10 territory. Undisputed!

That's why I was asking, I didn't know. Some people use F10 for their hands also, so I was curious if this Microshield could also be used for enclosures, just new and learning. :)

That's why I was asking, I didn't know. Some people use F10 for their hands also, so I was curious if this Microshield could also be used for enclosures, just new and learning. :)
Sorry mate, post may have come across as condescending, not meant.:)

I use a product from the Chemist called Aqium. And if I recall rightly, when I did my course with Snakehandler, they said the ingredients in that was the same as the reptile hand gel which is double the price.

Sorry mate, post may have come across as condescending, not meant.:)

No worries mate, none taken. Im also working on doing my own research to avoid asking stupid questions. Might get there eventually :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back