Fair go for our reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo

Reaction score
Did everyone hear about the Koala that was shot with a slug gun at Morayfield in SE QLD a couple nights/days ago, really horrible thing to do and I hope the catch the person responsible.
On the radio through the day, I heard the media say that there is a $30,000.00 fine and or jail time for doing such a hidious thing to our native wildlife if caught.
How many times do you hear about a snake or some other reptile that has met with a shovel or shotgun and the media never gives it the same consideration.:evil:
Just having a whinge:evil::evil:

Yeah I know!! That really really really really really really annoys me...
Or when you see people not only run over reptiles, but actually swerve to hit them!!
:x:x:x

Someone annoys a Koala and the whole community is up in arms.

Someone kills a snake and the community announces them as a hero!

i agree whole heartily ..very very one sided, just because people are uneducated, i dont know how many times ive heard of someone killing a "deadly" snake with a shovel and it ends up being a carpet python....or even a bluetongue...sigh

Agreed. Its terrible what happened to that poor koala, and totally inexcusable, but the whole "if its not cute and furry, its not important" additude NEEDS to stop

Here in Victoria you can actually suffer a $28000 fine or 2 years jail for killing a snake or reptile of any sort, it just needs to be enforced, I bet if they were fluffy instead of slimey it would be treated differently

Attitudes towards reptiles, even the deadly snakes, has changed over time due to the hard work of well presented, articulate herpetologists and associated biologists. The community has a better attitude towards such animals due to education (such as documentaries, zoo demonstrations) than it ever has. Much has yet to change, but fewer pythons for example, are killed or moved on than in earlier times due to such knowledge. At the grass roots level, it is reptile keepers who make a positive difference everyday to peoples attitudes due to exposure in a non threatening way to our unique species. This can include letting someone handle a python, or simply showing snakes behind the glass, safely in its cage.

bet they would be more angry if it was a cat, koala is more important then snake, but not a cat!

Well, I know that I would never kill a reptile, even an elapid, unless it was threatening to my life at that exact time and there was no way out of it. There is just no reason for it.

Actually, for that matter, I don't think you have any reason to kill any animal/insect etc, I mean, I relocate spiders if I find them inside my house, I'd rather not kill them.

Last edited:
Someone annoys a Koala and the whole community is up in arms.

Someone kills a snake and the community announces them as a hero!

sad but true unfortunately...
somehow I think the koala shooting with the slug gun and "school holidays" is no co-incidence..

i have asked the epa up here regarding the possibility of the "Snake Catchers" to be able to hand out tickets like RSPCA inspectors regarding this... i have many of times been called out to collect snakes only to find they have been split with a shovel or something... i have still reported the people but i want a system with a better follow up procedure!

To put things in true perspective, if you try to pick up a brushtail possum, it'll scratch and bite, even a brush turkey will kick or scratch. koala the same, rip you up.

I have never taken a bite off a wild diamond that I have had to relocate. In fact I have only ever had one have an actual snap at me, but it had just been run over.

Poggle - do you know what happens with the reports you put in? I guess if they are not being actioned they should be excallated...

I was in hospital recently (motorbike crash), and was talking to one of the nurses about someone who came in with a snake bite - and he openly said they brought the snake in in a bucket to id it and that was the best thing to do... I said firstly, snakes are protected, secondly this isnt some backwater - there are other methods to determine is the preson was invenomated (sp?) and what anti-venine is required... but that would probably constitue an effort

[QUOTE

Stick something out there with a stereo-typically cuddly image and you've got a lynch mob on your hands! Anyone ever try and touch a wild koala before???? I'd sooner take on a wild tiger snake! ;)

[/QUOTE]

Yes moose, Had to put one in a box ready for a carer to pick up a few years back. It went in as calm as you like but as I was slowly moving my hand away from it and out of the box it very calmly turned it's head and bit me on the hand. Those chisels they have for teeth went about an inch or so into the ball of flesh at the base of my thumb. It took about 6 weeks to heal and most of that time it was oozing crap. Tigers are much preferred.

For a minute there Baxtor I thought you were going to say they were generally calm and no dramas (as I haven't ever personally been in contact with moving a wild koala, but have heard some pretty interesting stories about them)............and then I read the rest of what you wrote! :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back