Fake Background. Newbie's first effort.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that looks incredible! Where did you purchase the polystyrene from? Also, is the polystyrene backed onto anything?

that looks incredible! Where did you purchase the polystyrene from? Also, is the polystyrene backed onto anything?
You can get good polystyrene from a local fruit shop, they're usually happy to give away the boxes that don't have lids or are a bit broken, and electrical shops like JB HiFi and good guys have big sheets of it, that they throw away :D

Great idea! Thanks! Could the polystyrene snap under the weight of the animal on the ledges?

In this case it's only a stimmie that will be on it. But if you look closely you'll notice the thickness under the ledge ..... that is what helps support the shelf. The larger the snake the thicker the ledge and the more support it has (and needs)
For the really big snakes do a timber shelf and disguise it under render.

Great idea! Thanks! Could the polystyrene snap under the weight of the animal on the ledges?

If you notice the ledges fit pretty tightly with the surrounding rock placement. This, plus making sure that those areas have been glued with liquid nails well, and the render placed over and into the seam's well, will hopefully support our Stimmie.

I went to one of the only retail foam places in Perth and bought a 1.2m x 600mm x 20mm piece for about 10 bucks. They also had a bits of off cuts and odd sized sheets they gave me for free. And finally, my local pet city store gives away foam boxes with lids that I assume their aquarium stock is delivered in.

The biggest expense was purchasing the render paints and sealer, plus I bought an foam hot knife which was 30 bucks. But I still have enough materials left over to do another project which will probably be a Mayan Ruins type theme.

You really have made a superb job of that. how many hours would you say that took to complete?.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

You really have made a superb job of that. how many hours would you say that took to complete?.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

G'day..I used a black acrylic mixed in with the final render coat, more to see where I'd previously rendered, and then gave it a couple of coats of Earth Red. Finished with a light grey dry-brush on the high points.

The sealing has changed the colour a fair bit and given it a bit too much shine. But I was expecting that and was too lazy to apply sand to the still wet sealant coat or sand it a bit when dry.

Took about a week all up, but probably only 10 hours total over 4 days. Have to wait for stuff to dry etcetera.

Here a pic of the finished sealed backdrop in the enclosure.

Ps. The Skull was my daughters concession to me. She'd much rather a Barbie doll in there ..lol

Attachments

• photo.G.jpg
    photo.G.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 67
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back