Fake Rock Background V2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor_Keeper

Reaction score
Last few days i have been building a test rock wall just for aesthetics ( texture color detail etc ). I basically threw together some polystyrene and a few ledges, each with different support sides on them to test for strength. Here is a mid progress picture of it ( added sand, different paint and sealed but scuffed the shine since this pic ).001.jpg

Anyways here is my real project ( keep in mind I already know it is not going to be anywhere near Universal Rock standard haha )

1) I got cut my base piece to fit snugly in the enclosure ( 89 cm x 89 cm ) for a new gilleni enclosure.

003.jpg

2)I then proceeded to cut up pieces of foam which I grabbed for free from the industrial site in the next suburb ( I got mine off insulation workers, they are off cuts ) and glued some pieces down using liquid nails

004.jpg

Glued some together as well for more depth

005.jpg

I have finished gluing down all foam and will take a photo as soon as the sun goes down.

To be continued....

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 293
3) Bought a $3 craft knife set from home depot and will begin carving once Liquid Nails are 100% dried

009.jpg

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 171
Looking like the beginnings of some awesome work ! Just make sure you don't end up with the crevices being so narrow that you can't get in to clean it..
Here's another couple of tips:
Before the render cures totally run a stiff brush along the front edge of the ledges to simulate the natural lines you would see, a cheap hair comb works if you want a bit deeper lines but don't push too hard- drag rather than dig in.

When scuffing: do it in the direction of the ledge. That way any scratches will follow the natural lines you would see in the rock.
Don't scuff the top of the ledges. Only scuff what the eye will see (Cleaning will be easier.)

Looking like the beginnings of some awesome work ! Just make sure you don't end up with the crevices being so narrow that you can't get in to clean it..
Here's another couple of tips:
Before the render cures totally run a stiff brush along the front edge of the ledges to simulate the natural lines you would see, a cheap hair comb works if you want a bit deeper lines but don't push too hard- drag rather than dig in.

When scuffing: do it in the direction of the ledge. That way any scratches will follow the natural lines you would see in the rock.
Don't scuff the top of the ledges. Only scuff what the eye will see (Cleaning will be easier.)

Thanks will take some of these tips to the project, ( the one I can as I just did first coat of render haha ).

4) Applied first coat of Dunlop acrylic render ( bunnings ) in a very soupy form to get all nooks and crannies. Here is a picture of it just after finishing last section ( I found a few patches after ). I find that I just splodge it on thicker in some places for better effect.

View attachment 280976

View attachment 280977

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 176
4) Applied first coat of Dunlop acrylic render ( bunnings ) in a very soupy form to get all nooks and crannies. Here is a picture of it just after finishing last section ( I found a few patches after ). I find that I just splodge it on thicker in some places for better effect.
View attachment 280976

View attachment 280977

I got some of that render today, how thick did you make it? I did my first coat and I think I might need to go thicker. Went about 2 cups render - 1/3 cup concrete coloring - 1/2 cup water. Covered quiet a lot of surface. My backgrounds rather small though. I'm doing a desert theme (obvious from the photo lol..) I take the trees out when I render, just wanted to make the holes and see what it look like.

Also, Jax might be able to answer this, maybe not, but I'm doing this enclosure (top of my TV cabinet, bottom half is for a spotted python) for a bearded dragon. It'll only be a baby one but just wondering, (actually, not even sure if I can keep a snake and lizard on top of each other....) how many coats of render do you reckon I'd need to do to stop it ripping it apart with its claws when it decides to climb it..?

Attachments

• IMAG0837.jpg
    IMAG0837.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 195
Not trying to sound rude Justin but can you start a separate thread if you haven't already :) I think it's kinda cool that we keep one enclosure per thread,

not know anything about lizards I'd say the more layers the better. Don't go super thick all at once, it takes forever to dry. First layer is reasonably thin so it fills in all the little gaps. Each layer gets a little thicker in texture, not igreatly thicker in depth. I do 3 layers for snakes. First bucket of render is like thickened cream, the last like mud pies. The one in the middle is somewhere around the soft serve ice cream texture.

Maybe do two soft serve layers and two mud pie layers for the lizard.... Someone with lizards that has done one of these walls is probably better to advise what works.

I can stress enough the importance of letting each layer thoroughly dry ( naturally, not with a heat gun) you run the risk of damp render which isn't as strong, so if you move it too soon it will fracture.

by the way. In my first layer, I mix water and pva glue (about 50/50) , then the render (and oxide in the last coat). The pva helps "stick" the render to the foam.

Sealer goes on LAST. I've seen some put the sealer on the foam..... No benefit, foam won't absorb fluids, render will!
Anyone care to explain the smell from urine soaked render after a few years ?

Hope that answers some of your questions....
Now go and start a new thread (I've got plans for all these threads ! )

Not trying to sound rude Justin but can you start a separate thread if you haven't already :) I think it's kinda cool that we keep one enclosure per thread,

not know anything about lizards I'd say the more layers the better. Don't go super thick all at once, it takes forever to dry. First layer is reasonably thin so it fills in all the little gaps. Each layer gets a little thicker in texture, not igreatly thicker in depth. I do 3 layers for snakes. First bucket of render is like thickened cream, the last like mud pies. The one in the middle is somewhere around the soft serve ice cream texture.

Maybe do two soft serve layers and two mud pie layers for the lizard.... Someone with lizards that has done one of these walls is probably better to advise what works.

I can stress enough the importance of letting each layer thoroughly dry ( naturally, not with a heat gun) you run the risk of damp render which isn't as strong, so if you move it too soon it will fracture.

by the way. In my first layer, I mix water and pva glue (about 50/50) , then the render (and oxide in the last coat). The pva helps "stick" the render to the foam.

Sealer goes on LAST. I've seen some put the sealer on the foam..... No benefit, foam won't absorb fluids, render will!
Anyone care to explain the smell from urine soaked render after a few years ?

Hope that answers some of your questions....
Now go and start a new thread (I've got plans for all these threads ! )

Oh, sorry, didn't think to start a new thread as was a bit relevant to this one but all good, I'll go start one on the weekend after I'm done rendering.

But yeah, you answered all my questions and omg, I forgot to put the PVA glue in my render mix. Damn it. =/

Well I added a few more layers of grout and realized I was not liking the uniformity and evenness of the polystyrene blocks down the bottom so decided to add some more realness to it using expanda foam. I then rendered it more and looks 10 x better to it is getting there, I will grab some updated pictures tonight but here is a few of the steps.View attachment 281369
View attachment 281370View attachment 281371

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 136
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 137

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 107
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 117
while I like all these DYI threads I think most people miss the point that dragons have big claws and will rip these things to shreds very quickly and leave bits of foam everywhere which could lead to impaction.They would definitely be fine for snakes who have no claws but it should be pointed out for lizard lovers they are no no's

Looks heaps better now. Nice last minute remodel. :)

Dragonlover, a lot of the DIY walls (most if I'm not mistaken) are for use with snakes, even so the whole point of using the layers of render as I understand it is to stop them ripping through the background. It's not as if they are using straight styrene. They should also be suitable for geckos and some other varieties of lizard. Are you basing your post on personal experience of impaction due to backgrounds falling apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back