Fake rock wall build. Some Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileKev81

Reaction score
Hi guys, as some of you mat have seen on other threads, in building a fake rock wall for a 3x2x2 aquarium that I'm fixing up for my beardie.

Just wanted to know what kind of base I should build it on. Is some cheap ply or chipboard ok? How thick should it be to support the rockwall?

Also, going to get some styrofoam sheets now, how thick is ideal? Is 25mm ok? Or should I go thicker.

I will take lots of pics and post my process as I go.
It won't be as nice as Tregs, but hopefully your tips and advice will help me get some decent results since my DIY skills suck lols

Cheers
Kev :)

Hi Kev :)

I would just stick the foam to the glass, if you dont you'll have roaches and crickets making a home behind it, or in it if you dont seal the foam properly.

adding ply isnt going to acheive anything better than sticking the foam straight to the glass, all of the edges will still need to be sealed to stop roach/cricket infestation.

the foam work is no different to what Treg has done on his 'productive evening' thread, just make sure you put down 3 - 4 layers of the render,
dont be tempted to do one thick layer, it takes too long to dry but it needs to be thick to withstand the claws.

dont worry about lack of DIY skills, most of us can be called amatuers at best. we just slowly work our way through and ask for help as needed.
you know where we are if you need help just ask. :)

everything sealed with clear silicone its easy and works well and nearly the only thing that will stick well to glass AND everything else

Gday Kev

I bought 25mm thick sheets of styro foam (from clark rubber $10 a piece) and then got other styrofoam fruit boxes and stuck them on to build it up a bit!

The other option is to buy waffle pods (big blocks of styrofoam used for building housing foundations) which are cheaper for their size... it just depends on what you want to do!

And im with Jaxtfm... stick it directly to the glass! it will come off nicely with a razor later on if you need it too!

Hmmm, unfortunately I don't think I will have enough access through the top to work directly onto the glass. Maybe I can use a sheet of styrofoam as the base, not seal the back of it and glue it directly to the glass when done? What do you guys think?

I love bunnings. I've come home $100 lighter and have just realized I didn't get everything I need. Man I always get carried away in that store. At the checkout, my mrs looks at me saying "I thought this is suppose to be cheaper than buying a background, lols

Having it removable comes in very handy for cleaning, but you will have crickets getting in behind.

Another great source of Foam is you local dicount store. For them it is a waste product, so if you speak to their loading dock they will usually put some asside for you. I told Target that I was making a sculpture of Ularu for my sons school project and ended up with a large boot load. can't get cheaper than that.

Also there are different grades of polystyrene. personally i do not like the vegie boxes as they are too dense and hard to carve, (though they can be good for shelves).

Hey, I'm doing something similar..I've watches lots of vids of ppl doing it on YouTube..it all depends on your design really..whether your going to stick on rocks and build it up that way,add legdges and platforms to bask or just do a simple design where u carve rocks from the foam you already have there...once you've decided ull know how much foam ull need..I'm planning to do the same to my spare tank which is the same size as ur tank that ur working with now..it's not a huge space to work with and not really ideal for a large beardie but I dunno how big ur beardie is..anyway I think ull find a wall and building it up will actually take and make te space in the tank smaller..it might look big when u start out but will look very small once u start depending what you do so I wouldn't worry bout building it up too much..again all depends on the design..for a tank that size though I would go with a more basic look possibly a legde or 2..don't go over board adding rocks coz it will jst take up too much space n then the space in ur actual tank will be significantly smaller..that's my advice to ya..good luck ad please send in pics so we can see your progress =]

Yeah thats what im doing with the sheets from clark rubber... they are 1200mmX600mmX25mm so they are pretty big! Cut them to size and then stick on more styrofoam and shape as needed... then once you have painted/textured your background and your all happy stick it in!

I spent 1.5 hours wandering around thornleigh bunnings making a list of what i wanted/needed! me and my brother have been back there pretty much every week to buy things (he's working on a long board and im working on my snake enclosure) probably spent about $200 in the last month on enclosure stuff

If you look behind fruit and veg stores at night they often have huge amounts of it stacked around the bin...

Forgot to add.. I would go with 1cm for your back part and glue it on..I think 25mm is too thick for the back because from the sounds of it you will be building it up, hope I am helping not sounding annoying it's just I thought the same thing and thought I'd need soo much thick foam and then when I started I realised how much space it actually takes up..but yeh I dunno that's jst my opinion..go with your gut mate

I love bunnings. I've come home $100 lighter and have just realized I didn't get everything I need. Man I always get carried away in that store. At the checkout, my mrs looks at me saying "I thought this is suppose to be cheaper than buying a background, lols

it does get cheaper each time you visit bunnings because you dont always need 'everything' Its getting to the point i now only go there for extra liquid nails or silicone. tell your mrs that what you have spent will last for a few backgrounds LOL.
I would still stick it to the tank, you dont want a bearded climbing up and then having the whole thing falling into the tank !
Tinky, i actually prefer the denser foam i can get more detail in it, and you're right, ask around you'll be amazed where you can find foam, if your after thinner sheets or dont mind glueing a few sheets together, ask a store that sells flat pack furniture, they often use thin sheets in the boxes to protect the contents, often quite large pieces too.

I'm lucky, i work in IT for a large business, so there is always plenty of foam, we have a special bin for it, and the store guys call me before they call the refuse people to empty the bin, most times they dont need ot call after i've finished picking pieces I can use. i'd hate to see how much $$ i've saved the company to get the bin emptied

Have you thought about corner units, (rather than wall mount), they are self supporting and wont fall over.

There are some in an album on my profile, (and some castles).

and don't forget your little devil butane burner for shaping and sealing.

Cheers

I went to Liverpool and found that Clarks rubber has been replaced by beaurepairs. Even worse, my dad has thrown away all the syrofoam bits that I have been hoarding :(
Since I'm outta funds and have no base, I'll have to wait till payday :(
I am SOOOOOOO DISAPPOINTED!
Anyways, I figured I would use this tiny bit of foam I have to make a new food n water bowl for my beardie for the time being lols.

Ive also realized that a 3x2 ft background will not fit through the top since the tank has a crossmember type going across the middle, I'll need to make it in 2 or 3 pieces :(
This days not turning out like I hoped

look on the bright side. you didnt make it and then realised you had the cross member to deal with. !
Did you let dad know that you were planning on using the foam as a back drop ? maybe then he wont be in such a hurry to clean up next time.

I decided: Stuff it! I'm gonna use this wood as a base. I don't feed crickets in his enclosure, I always take him out, so illegal squatter colonies won't be an issue. And I found some more styrofoam :)

Alright, I've decided to take a smoke break :)
Here's where I'm up to.
I first cut 5cms from the top of the board to make it fit. Then I cut the board in half, then trimmed another 5cms from the side of one of the boards.
P7110006.jpg

I'm now in the process of gluing the foam to the backpieces.
I found that it gave it a better texture by ripping and breaking the pieces as opposed to using a knife
I plan to fill all the little bits with expanda foam.
P7110007.jpg

P7110008.jpg

P7110009.jpg

Any advice, tips or criticism (constructive)?
I plan on making the heavily foamed area the bottom of the wall. Or should I turn it upside down?
Anyways, back to styrofoam duty :D

Last edited:
The only thing I'd suggest is making sure some of the lower pieces stick out enough for your beardie to sit in and under, then you have extra useable area, other than that you look to be off to a flying start

Ive actually put a shelf on the other side with a hide under it.
Ive just stopped to egt a bit of dinner, will put pics up later tonight

A hacksaw blade or a wire brush are also good for a bit of texture. WARNING don't do it inside it gets messy and it's not easy to clean up

jax is right, Verrrrry Messy, took me longer to clean up than to make it :( , melting with a heat gun works good also (but be careful as it melts fast and has bad fumes)

if you do use expandafoam, wait a few days for it to really set before you start grouting, and i have heard that beardys chew, so lots of grout or all your hard work may be ruined

Last edited:
Its so cold, I'm gonna wait for it to warm up before I head into the garage to continue, lol.
Thanks for the advice Jax and Treg :)
How many coats of render should I use so my Beardie doesnt rip it up? He doesnt chew stuff other than his food, but he scratches and tries to dig in his wooden enclosure, lols, he'll probably try to scratch and dig his way through the background too. How much do you guys reckon is enough?

I do three coats for snakes, so maybe 4? im not sure hopefully an experienced person can help i dont have lizards. make sure u put in pva glue in he first couple to help it stick. make the first coat very runny like milk to get in all the small spots.... then i make it thicker each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back