FAQ forum

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Just thinking, we have had a few people ask repeat questions again with topics that we have all been over before. I was wondering what people would think of as a moderator or selected person post only FAQ forum (people could be allocated a question and then submit it to the forum moderator for posting) that a question would be in the title and a single person would try and give a non-biased answer. There would not be an ongoing thread but newbies could look up a topic before starting to ask questions and so forth.

I will put up a sample of what I had in mind as the next post.

What do people think?

Cheers Hawkeye

Do I need a licence to keep a snake?

In Australia all reptiles are protected to one degree or another by both state and federal laws. Most states have some form of licencing for obtaining reptiles usually through the relevant Parks and Wildlife Service.
The web pages for each state are:

<Web pages that I haven't had time to look up>

Most states have a tiered licence system and basic licences are for those snakes easiest to keep up to difficult to keep (eg venemous) or rare snake licences.

Keeping a snake without a licence is illegal in all states and hefty fines are usually given for transgressions.

Produced by Hawkeye for APS

I have also been thinkink abpout a "products, feeders, vivariums and terriums" forum for a while too

Not a bad idea, Hawkeye!

This is the problem with most forum sites - the answers are usually there somewhere, but a new user has to do a lot of browsing and research to find the answers - most simply don't bother, but just post the question again!

I can see where some conflict could arise where people disagree with the moderator's opinions/research, but in general I like the concept.

Maybe the moderator could copy the original discussion threads, containing the various opinions of the different users, into the FAQ forum, at least on topics where there is some debate. I'd suggest that these threads would probably have to be heavily edited to remove any contentious issues and off-topic comments! :wink:

That way, people could see the various opinions and make up their own mind.

Alternatively, the moderator could post links to the existing answers on APS.

Let's see what feedback we get from other members....

I prefer the idea of an FAQ / newbies forum where the posts are unmoderated but the questions are all newbie level. The topics would then hang around a lot longer as there is only a small number of questions really. This would have a strict code of no off topic posts and no abuse.

I dont see the problem in answering repetative questions in anycase.My whole perspective on this forum is the use of it to educate all hobbyists new and old.If we all decide we are getting sick and tired of the same questions and no longer want to answer them because we have done so 4 times already,then what good is a forum? sooner or later we would run out of the normal everyday questioning and have to start making stuff up.Either that or we stop using the forum because theres nothing else to say.If we have a FAQ forum,the moderator in charge should make links to other threads featuring the answers for all viewers to see,rather than try to answer every question single handly,so the option is still there for other members opinions.I know personally I like to weigh up everyones answers and try to find the best suitable for my situation by mixing and matching everyone elses opinion.I find it alot easier which to believe when there is several people saying the same thing rather than have 1 simple answer and not knowing for sure whether they be right,guessing or what.IMO if it aint broke dont fix it,and I dont see any problems with the way APS has been running.Furthermore I dont want to see the site wasted with BS threads because people are getting bored having no new posts to answer due to all questions being answered in the past.

My carpet python had a perfect shed and is eating fine but hes growing legs is this normal? This question was the only one I could think of that hasnt been bought up in the past.This is how I see it going if we all decide not to help newbies because we are sick to death with repetative questions.So we answered that same question 8 times already SO WHAT we all posted similar questions when we began here and IMO we are all here to gain more and more wizdom in the hobby as well as share it.So lets give back some of the information we all learned here and give the next generation of herpers the same options and advice we all recieved.

PS The forums have been dead the past few weeks,and I think it is because everyone is bored with the same threads.In order to keep them alive we have to use chit chat forum and talk about general things like THE HAIRDRESSERS or make new polls about UNDERRATED and OVERRATED snake species.Still alot of fun I think,but just a point im trying to make that majority of APS members get fed up too easily with newbie questions.IMO id prefer to answer the same question all day everyday if it is going to help some newbie keep a snake in the required manner,rather than see him post in the future it died because no one would answer he's question on if they need artificial lighting and heating.I also feel that chit chat forum and threads on general subjects is intimidating for the new users.They dont feel comfortable discussing off topic subjects with a group of people they have never spoke to before.Im NOT saying general chit chat is a bad thing,but at the same time we need to keep the reptile discussion open in the forum to encourage the newbies to get in there and have a go.Even if a new forum was created for the sole purpose of newbies like Magpie suggested.Id be content to moderate it answering the same questions day in and day out (id still need everyone elses opinion as not all of us know everything about the hobby,im often wrong on some forms of herping) because to me helping a newbie is what its all about.Its the wizdom and information we give the next generation of herpers that creates a better hobby not the wizdom WE RECIEVE,im not here to outdo the next person with my intelect on reptiles.Im here to help educate (if I can) those that dont know what herping is all about.I want to see the herp hobby flourish with passionate members,members who have the no-how to keep/breed and raise perfect specimens.

Now that im off the soap box I can say it wasnt a big drum up for mod status.I feel that if a newbie forum was created put some people that are passionate about the hobby as well as educating others in charge.I see magpie ALWAYS giving hes best opinions on matters even though he has done so many times before on the same subject in the past.Id nominate him or perhaps Fangs.I myself would be honoured to do it.But whatever way SJ decides to run APS it has to have members moderate it that are inclined to help the newbies with repetative questions constantly.

PS
Pretty heated thread im sorry.But im passionate about the hobby and want to see it flourish in the future,I have been involved in the pittbull hobby and there is just no education in it here in Aus.I watched breeders turn the hobby from brilliant dog breed to savage killers.Then the media got involved and the hobby was killed.
Same with the aquarium hobby I was involved with.It turned from breeders of great stock to money hungry jerks and uneducated kids that cross bred species and killed the hobby.(Although it is getting fine tuned these past few years and it is really flourishing with perfect specimens lately)

Good on you John, well said.

Its a good idea to a a forum for newbie questions/queries, etc.

But at the same time I like having a bit of variety, ie. Chit Chat threads.

I believe that there are positives and negatives to both sides of this argument. Personally I lean towards what our friend CC has to say as if the normal repeat questions were not being asked anymore I can see the site going into decline. Every time the question is asked somebody comes up with some little snippet that was not mentioned before and members who have joined since the question was last asked get to put their opinion forward also and may even have something that no-one else has said before. For my money I say keep the site as it is.
JMO

Yeah I'm with John on this one. Nothing against Glen and his idea it has merit but the good thing about answering and reanswering the same questions are that pretty much all the time a new thought or piece of advice is uncovered. It all adds to the wealth of knowledge that is here.

Thanks guys.
I may of said something in a way it was misread so ill try to rectify it here.
I myself am all for the chit chat forums posts.I love variety and it is great to have a general discussion off topic now and then.BUT if that is all that is recent (only chit chat forums being posted at a certain point) I feel that the newbies will feel intimidated by jumping into a convo with a room full of strangers.Where as if there was a mix of both chit chat and rep forums the newbies may get involved with the reptile specific context.So what I am trying to say is we need to concentrate more on keeping reptile forums open by answering newbie repetative questions in order to keep them interested and APS growing in popularity.I know its not that bad as of yet.But I can see it slowly going from newbie questions to general chit chat as alot of members here are getting annoyed by the constant questions being asked because they have answered them already several times.I know I myself when a newbie would prefer to jump in head first with reptile related threads rather than join in general conversation only due to feeling intimidated at 1st.Once ive spoken to everyone via forum threads I felt more or less like I knew yous all to an extent and now can join in on any convo :D

I am also for the LEAVE IT AS IT IS CAMPAIGN but if it is to be changed all im saying is choose moderators carefully as the repetative nature of questioning may get the better of them. Nothing against Hawks or hes ideas,I think the newbie forum is a great concept,but special attention to choosing moderators would be the first consideration.As stated it will be constantly repetative so moderators will need to realise this.

I think my intention is being a little bit misconstrued.

The reason for doing a FAQ is for the people who are a bit intimidated by the people on the site. Its not designed as a don't wanna answer newbie questions but more as a resource site for people who are very new. The use of repetitive questions as a source is so that we have an idea as to what people want to know. I didn't intend for it to diminish the site by any means just allow newbies who are a little less confident to get some information and then ask specific questions.

I was intending it to assist newbies no allocate them to second class citizens and thats why I didn't suggest a newbie forum because it then polarises the group.

Cheers Hawkeye
Awaiting more comments

Hi Hawks,
I didnt mean for my comments to sound directed at any 1 person,I meant in general,every member of the forum seems to be getting a little tired of repetative questions.some more so than others,While some still answer posts (although with less enthusiasm as when they first answered the same question) some are just not being apart of the forum due to answering the same question already in the past.IMO I am easy whether we leave APS as is or start a FAQ forum.But in anycase my main concern is in choosing the right moderators to handle the questions that are repeated over and over on a daily basis.Its a case of much of a muchness really with a 50/50 way bet.Either will be sucessfull IMO so long as everyone continues to get involved.This isnt an attack on anyone as I myself fail to contribute to a few posts when I feel ive answered the questions so many times before.BUT I still feel moderator choice for this reason will need special attention as I am sure it will be a routine effort answering repetative questions daily.

PS Sorry if I misconstrued the topic,IMO you have a great idea and it will work a treat so long as the moderators can handle the constant routine of answering repetative questions.

Very good idea. I been abit of a nag lately being new, before I even posted I looked for a search feature on the forum but couldn't find it. A search function would help with repeated questions if the users are smart enough.

Cyber....not pissed at all.

Just I could see what people were thinking and it wasn't what I intended. Just clarifying thing :lol: :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

Thanks Nathan, you are not a nag at all, I just wanted to make things a little easier for peoples like yourself :lol:

Kewl Hawks,
I know thats how I may have made it sound :cry: (wasnt my intention sorry),but I have to clarify again im not saying any1 person is newbie bashing as such,but everyone in general is losing enthusiasm with the repeated questions given by newbies.I am along side you all the way in making it easier for the newer members and agree totally that they would in one way or another feel intimidated.I hope a few more people would get involved with this topic here and come up with a few more suggestions making it alot easier on SJ deciding what is the best way to go about it.

Nathan top stuff matey.
A search type option would be great in APS if it was used by newer members.

In my opinion, we should not have any more changes and for once leave the site alone.
I think we have too many categories as is.
I have been with APS since it was still msn and we have had too many changes, and not always for the best either I might add.
I also think, with all the moderators, administrators and selected person, (as mentioned); we seem to have more chiefs than Indians.
Just my opinion.
Cheers

Just noticed...Nathan there is a search menu at bottom of main menu under FAQ/help on the left there. Try that if you want to search.

Cheers Hawkeye

I was thinking about this a little while ago. What I think would be best is to create a sticky at the top of the herp help forum called "FAQ: Reptile Care" and one in Australian snakes called "FAQ: Australian Snakes" - with more when they are needed. In this would be a list of commonly asked questions and answers (see www.whirlpool.net.au forums, they have a few such FAQs).

I would probably elect different members to be in charge of such threads. I invite Hawkeye to start one, I will make it sticky and lock it of replies.

Slateman_Junior

Sounds good SJ.

Ok I will start the first one in Herp Help. I am pretty sure I can lock it myself since I have mod rights here and I might slightly modify it with FAQ: Title of what FAQ is about.

Cheers Hawkeye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back