Far North Queensland 3 -- Mission Beach, coastal area

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
In this post, I will include photos from the coastal areas of Mission Beach along with photos from a short day trip inland to Murray Falls State Park.

Mission Beach is a beautiful place with Dunk and the Family Islands a few km offshore. Although there is a great deal of development underway, so far Mission Beach has escaped the enormous resort complexes that destroyed Port Douglas.

Dunk Island
habitat13.jpg

The Family Group of islands and Hinchinbrook Island (big island in distance)
habitat20.jpg

The beach of Mission Beach. Stingers were absent in the winter so it was safe to swim.
habitat14.jpg

habitat1.jpg

I found three species of lizards in habitat like this:
habitat19.jpg

These included Coastal Snake-eyed Skinks (Cryptoblepharus littoralis) that fed from just above the high-tide line down and around the tide pools.
CryptoblepharusLitorlalis5.jpg

CryptoblepharusLitorlalis4.jpg

Their range overlapped that of Wall Skinks (Cryptoblepharus virgatus) and both species were found on the coconut palms that lined the beach. Both can be seen in this photo:
CryptoblepharusLitorlalis2.jpg

The gecko Nactus chevreti was also found just above the high-tide line.
Nactus2.jpg

Nactus1.jpg

Once again, Red-throated Rainbow Skinks (Carlia rubrigularis) were numerous. These little skinks seem to be the most abundant reptile in the wet tropics of north Queensland. I found them from above the high-tide line through rainforest, wet eucalyptus woodland and up into the montane areas of the Atherton Tablelands.
CarliaRubrigularis15.jpg

CarliaRubrigularis3.jpg

A lifer to me were these Brown Bicarinate Rainbow Skinks (Carlia storri). I saw two on rocks one afternoon but never again could relocate these for better photos even though I visited the same area on four more occasions. I think that they must spend much of their lives beneath the leaf litter.
CarliaStorrei1.jpg

CarliaStorei2.jpg

These Closed-litter Rainbow Skinks (Carlia longipes) were common around the cabin where we stayed. Males are brightly coloured during the breeding season. We must have been there too early and all of those encountered looked like these:
CarliaLongipes1.jpg

CarliaLongipes2.jpg

I saw this monitor near our cabin one afternoon. Both Gould's (Varanus gouldii) and Yellow-spotted Monitors (V. panoptes) are found here and I believe that they are hard to separate in this area. The monitor had an yellow, unbanded tip to the tail.
Sand1.jpg

Sand2.jpg

A fisherman told me that a week before my arrival, he found a Saltwater Crocodile eating a Green Turtle on this beach. He said that there were many marks in the sand and it appeared that there had been quite a struggle ... or perhaps the croc was just spinning to rip off chunks of the turtle. I saw many distant turtles but no crocs.
habitat5.jpg

Mudskippers were common near the mangroves:
Mudskipper1.jpg

Mudskipper3.jpg

I also saw this huge wader/shorebird known as a Beach Stone Curlew. It is a cousin of the Double-striped Thick-knees that some of you may have seen in southern Mexico or Costa Rica. These birds eat crabs.
BeachThickKnee1.jpg

BeachThickKnee2.jpg

A Shining Starling colony. These are native, rainforest inhabiting birds that form huge, noisy colonies.
ShiningStarling2.jpg

ShiningStarling1.jpg

Australian Rustic:
Rustic1.jpg

I also went on a day trip to Murray Falls State Park. This park supports rainforest along a river but the surrounding slopes are drier and covered with grass and eucalyptus. The water in the river is freezing but it is a good place to snorkel with many native fish. I saw two species of rainbowfish here along with many grunters.
habitat11.jpg

habitat12.jpg

I saw both Eastern Water Skinks (Eulamprus quoyii) and these barred water skinks (E. tenuis or E. brachysoma) on rocks along the river.
Eulamprus1.jpg

Eulamprus2.jpg

Wall Skinks (Cryptoblepharus virgatus) were also frequent on rocks.
Cryptoblepharus1.jpg

I saw a few Black-throated Rainbow Skinks (Carlia rostralis) up on the drier slopes.
CarliaRostralis1.jpg

An interesting, large scorpion:
Scorpion1.jpg

Regards,
David

Great photos once again David, the gecko photo is my favourite. Have you seen many frogs around the Mission Beach area?

Aaron

Thanks, Aaron. The next post later this week will include frogs. I will need help with the identification of a couple.

Nactus seems to be pretty common at Mission Beach.

Regards,
David

Thanks, Greg.

I was told on another site that the monitor was a panoptes.

Regards,
David

Nice pics. Mudskippers are such interesting animals, and a great example of evolution ;)

looks like you had a great time in MB do youdrive or fly up. my father faught long and hard with lots of others to keep woolies out ,lucky for him he passed away in november before it was complete . you may of met him in your travels he was pres of the surf club , ran the bar , and opperated a shuttle bus from cairns to MB again top pics , murray falls / upper is the best free water slides around bit ruff on the duds
rodney

Thanks, all.

Rodney,
When our kids were young, we used to drive to Mission Beach ... 30 hours from Wollongong. Now, the kids no longer go with us so we take advantage of sales when they occur and buy cheap tickets to Townsville or Cairns.

I may well have met your father since we have been visiting Mission Beach since 1986.

Murray Falls is a great place for kids. I took mine there a number of times to raft across the natural water slides.

Regards,
David

Pretty lizard, pretty lizard, pretty lizard, GIANT UGLY SCORPION OF DOOM!!!!

*Shudders*

Great pics, but eeeeeeuuuuuugggghhhhh. I know it's childish and irrational but I just can't stand them!

great pics, looks like the place to be
cool colours in the rainbow skink and monitor
those curlew's are cool birds too, i know someone who has a bush curlew as a pet.
it follows him around the yard, sits at his feet, loves a pat and scratch.
i reckon it thinks its a dog sometimes the way it acts.

Thanks, Kathyrn and bundy.

Kathyrn,
They are rather fierce looking but they are shy and only too happy to run away. I like the appearance of whip-scorpions even more.

bundy,
What an interesting pet. I wonder if it calls at night? Their call is beautiful but so loud.

Regards,
David

They are rather fierce looking but they are shy and only too happy to run away. I like the appearance of whip-scorpions even more.

I actually think whip scorpions are kinda cute, in an alienesque way - though it could just be sympathy after seeing that little one get tortured in Harry Potter ;) Regular scorpions just look so nasty - no animal needs more than one set of weaponry! Why do they need pincers AND a stabby-tail AND venom?! It's completely unreasonable! :)

I held a pair of big black tropical scary ones in Singapore a few years ago, after being assured that if I was stung it would only feel "like a bee-sting". It was anti-climactic, they were just like big prickly bugs. Big, prickly, really fantastically ugly bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back