Feeding Baby Beardies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rreptiless

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am purchasing my first pair of juvenile Beardies in a couple of months! I have done a fair bit of research on what to feed the Bearded Dragons and how often however on each different website the information is different! So I have come to you :)- experienced owners for your advice! Please include how often to feed them insects, fruits and veggies! Thanks in advance!

Terry

until they are about 10cm long i feed just super worms crickets and small woodies. then i place small amounts of fruit and veggies in a bowel and i put some super worms on top and they normally eat the veggies. don't feed meal worms as they are hard for them to digest and they get fat. i feed them every day until they are about 15-20 cm long then every 2nd or 3rd day other people may do different but thats just what i do :)

Thanks Ricky! What types of fruits and veggies should I provide them with? Also what about the portion sizes? Should I leave the dish of fruit and bugs in the tank for the rest of the day?

Cheers

i feed pan choy and bokchoy if tarts how you spell them lol umm white grapes chopped up apple chopped up grated carrot chopped up broccoli. don't feed cabbage because its bad for them and don't bother with lettuce it has nothing in it what so ever. i give like a small pinch of veggies when with the bugs then 2 small pinches of what ever you have chopped up without the bugs. make sure you dust the insects 2-3 times a week with repti cal and put a bit on the veggies once feeding those. still feed insects as a adult you just don't need to as much. i feed mine pinkie rats once every 2 weeks to but thats completely optional.

Super worms r just big meal worms rant they? Not good for the little guys at all

I have only had my little guy for little over a week, he is 3wks old. But to try give you an idea on what he is eating......he LOVES woodies, but he also has crickets. His fruit & vege consists of bok choy, rocket leaves, alfalfa, snow pea sprouts, flowers, carrot, corn kernals, brocollini, red capsicum, apple, strawberry.......keep in mind though that apple, strawberry & carrot are not given daily, i just give these once a week as a small treat.

Super worms r just big meal worms rant they? Not good for the little guys at all

No, Super worms are the larvae stage of Zoophobas mario. They prefer warmth, refrigiration will kill them. Additionally they will not pupate in close proximity with other superworms. There is a great read on superworms and breeding them on herp shop.. Whereas Mealworms are the larval stage of Tenebrio molitor, mealworm beetles. They are similiar, but not the same.

Should veggies and crickets be offered every day?

As babies, yes offer both every day, even twice a day. Once they are.....i think it is over a yr old, they can be fed just vegies daily & live food once every couple of days. If i have the age wrong, someone will correct me!

Is it a good idea to make a salad out of bok choy, rocket leaves, alfalfa, snow pea sprouts ect? Can this be feed as my greens daily?

I make muppets greens with the above list, i do vary it day to day though, just to be sure he is getting all the goods he possibly can! Once you know what your beardie likes most & what he isnt so keen on, you will work out your own little suitable mix!

Meal worms are not very good for babies, they are hard for them to digest & can cause issues. I havent had to add any movement to muppets vegie bowl......he is a pig! ;) I did read about someone adding maggots & superworms to the bowl to create movement though so you could give that a try. Dont worry too much at this age if they dont take straight away to vegies though, they need mostly live food at this age anyway.

Muppet has just started his first shed with me today & he isnt in the best mood, he hasnt eaten any vegies at all this morning, he wont even look at them, so they do go through their little stages!

I asked the same question when i first got muppet! & basically, there is no right or wrong amount, just offer them as many as they will take in a 10-15min period, 2 or 3 times a day. But to give you an idea on how much my little guy is eating, after some vegies in the morning, he will take up to 20 woodies first feed & sometimes the same second feed. On average though it seems to be around the 30 mark. If i offer him crickets, he usually only eats half that amount, he doesnt seem to like crickets so much. I now alternate between offering a few woodies & then sneak a cricket in while he is excited & waiting for the next woodie! Some days though he does eat less then the average 30, while other days he eats more......just give them what they can eat, they will let you know when they are no longer interested!

Bump!

I have done some research and have found out that silk worms are more nutritious than crickets! Should I feed my beardies more silk worms than crickets?

E.G: 20 Silkworms and 10 crickets?

Last edited:
Bump!

I have done some research and have found out that silk worms are more nutritious than crickets! Should I feed my beardies more silk worms than crickets?

E.G: 20 Silkworms and 10 crickets?

silkworms will end up costin u a fortune!! better off with woodies,crickets,buy in bulk or breed your own.
cheers

I was in luck since one of my mates breeds silkworms! He has hundreds of thousands! He is prepared to give them to me EXTREMELY cheap!

You might find 'chilling' your crickets befor feeding helps. This will slow the little buggers down a bit.

Most dragon owners get used to having escapee crickets in their house, (and for that reason never fed my guys roaches).

My guys also loved wild picked dandilion, clova, and at this time of year christmass beetles and cicardas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back