Feeding Floyd, Take #2!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippii

Reaction score
So, I fed Floyd again today (second time since I've had him), and once again he didn't fail to entertain! This time he managed to locate the head pretty quickly, which was good lol but he did run into another slightly more unexpected blunder..

After bravely striking his prey (dead rat fuzzy), he sat there for about 5 minutes coiled around it, completely normal.. After the initial "killing" period, I noticed he'd begun to uncoil a little, but he was still semi biting the rat. His mouth was open pretty wide, but still pinching a portion of the rat's back. I thought it a little odd, but figured he was just taking his time.

A couple more minutes passed, and at this point he started pulling his head away, but to my surprise, his lower lip stayed firmly attached to the hide of the dead rat! Somehow the lil fella had managed to get one of his teeth stuck in the rat, and couldn't dislodge it. Of course once I realised he was having trouble, I intervened and gently used the feeding tongs to release his tooth. I know I probably shouldn't laugh at his little oopses, but I cant help finding them amusing haha it's so cute :rolleyes:

Anyway, after that little kerfuffle, he went about eating the rat much much quicker than last time, he was done in about 15 minutes from his first strike (as opposed to 45 minutes). He's now sleeping it off in his little happy hut.

I did manage to get some of this feeding attempt on video, but alas my camera died pretty early on. I'll upload it and pop the link in here tomorrow. For now you can just have a feeding picture:

Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 9.01.34 PM.jpg

Renae x

***EDIT***

Video link: Feeding Floyd, Take #2 (Cape York Carpet Python) - YouTube

Last edited:
Ahaha, Floyd is beautiful, I have a story of when I first fed Flynn, he struck at the fuzzy mouse, coiled around it, and after he had finished the 'killing' he was confused because he was facing the back end of the mouse, it was cute watching him trying to work his way around the mouse trying to eat it, after 3-5 minutes he reached the head and he started eating :) And he finished it fast, took him about 10-15 minutes to swallow the little bugger.

Cheers,
Sabohan

Baha Flynn and Floyd have something in common.. Only I think Floyd wins this round, it took him 20 minutes (after "killing" the rat) to find the head the first time I fed him. He literally spent 20 minutes looking back n forth at each end, underneath it, then back again before finally locating the head. For all my efforts, I could not stop giggling lol

Renae x

Floyed looks really nice, never heard of a stuck tooth in a prey item before tho lol
our childreni strikes at the mouse but somehow always gets the side of it rather then the head so he starts searching everywhere for the head, takes him ages, he finally reachs the head and is in perfect position to start eating but then lets go again, starts searching everywhere for the head again lol normally takes half an hour sometimes less time before he finally stays at the head and eats the mouse.
Does it all the time

Aww Albino93, that's so cute, reminds me of Floyd. You should pop a video up for us to see sometime!

Renae x

- - - Updated - - -

I'd never heard of any one's snake getting its tooth caught in the prey item either.. Floyd's certainly a special fella :p

x

Haha yeh but whats the bet when i get the vid recorder out he wont do it, feeding day's not till next wednesday tho but i will attempt to get a vid of him.
And yah he must be lol

Haha yeh but whats the bet when i get the vid recorder out he wont do it, feeding day's not till next wednesday tho but i will attempt to get a vid of him.
And yah he must be lol

Hahah, my feeding day is Wednesday! :lol:

A lot of coincidences in this thread! :D

Oh, and I saw another video, your Collie is a beauty!

How old is Floyd?

Last edited:
Robbie? He is gorgeous.. I wish he was mine, but he's actually my uncle's. I plan to get a collie puppy next year, cannot wait! Unfortunately I have to save up to get our yard fenced first, and it's so darn expensive...

Floyd's 10 months old, how old's Flynn?

x

Robbie? He is gorgeous.. I wish he was mine, but he's actually my uncle's. I plan to get a collie puppy next year, cannot wait! Unfortunately I have to save up to get our yard fenced first, and it's so darn expensive...

Floyd's 10 months old, how old's Flynn?

x

I was told he was 5 months...He is tiny compared to Floyd :p

EDIT: Yeah he is 5 months, saw on his papers he was born in April...He is still feeding on fuzzies, when did Floyd start feeding on the adult mouse-fuzzy rat?

Last edited:
Yeh i tried a couple of times but its working now so all good :)
just for the record my blonde spotted is 10 months old aswell.

Yeah, Sabohan lol they do quite a bit of growing in those few months. Also, I've heard their growth rate varies a lot on how much and how often they're fed. Plus on top of that every snake is a little different, so there are a lot of variables. But I'm sure your lil Flynn will catch up in no time.. Part of me wishes Floyd would stay small, but it's also exciting to think of him being his adult size.

Albino, glad to hear it's working now :D it is only a short video thanks to my not so awesome camera battery.. But I thought it was cute.

Renae x

Yeah, Sabohan lol they do quite a bit of growing in those few months. Also, I've heard their growth rate varies a lot on how much and how often they're fed. Plus on top of that every snake is a little different, so there are a lot of variables. But I'm sure your lil Flynn will catch up in no time.. Part of me wishes Floyd would stay small, but it's also exciting to think of him being his adult size.

Albino, glad to hear it's working now :D it is only a short video thanks to my not so awesome camera battery.. But I thought it was cute.

Renae x

Ahaha, I love 'em small as well, but would love to experience him as an adult! I feed him every 7 days...Until he gets older.
How often do you feed Floyd?

Well I've only had him for about 9 days so far, so we're not in a rhythm yet. The breeder I got him from was feeding him every 10 days, but I feel like that's a bit too big of a stretch for a youngen like Floyd at the moment. I have fed him twice so far, 5 days apart, but I'm going to get into a weekly rhythm, makes it easier to remember when you have a specific feeding day and 7 days seems good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back