Feeding Geckoes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpie

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Wondering how people present food to their geckoes?
I have 5 knob tails in a tub with sand as a substrate.
I feed them woodies and mealworms.
Had the woodies in a small tub, but they pretty much ignored them till i tipped them out and let them run around.
Problem is, I don't really like having dozens of woodies loose in the gecko tub.
They seem to eat one or two food items a day each if I disable the food a bit then drop the food in front of them and it moves.
Would like to know how other people do it and how much they should be eating.

With the marble geckos just feed them as u do with small/hatchling crickets. Dust them with calcium powder and the just drop them in there.

I feed my pair of thick tailed geckos medium crickets by dusting them with calcium/vitamin supplements and then just chucking them in the tank to run around...gives them a bit of a chase, they're always all gone by the next day.

get one of those cricket feeder rock,or make ur own like i do out of a cardboard box with a hole cut in it big enough for crickets to get out but to small for the gecko to get in,,i throw the gut load and a bit of carrot in,the box breathes well and they are happy enough ,,u will find the geckos quickly figure out where they are coming out and spend time just outside the box..u cand throw some vitimin dust in to

Dust just enough for that feed and put them into the enclosure to run around. If your woodies are escaping then vaseline the top inch of the tub or use Fluon paint (from herpshop). Crickets will run over fluon but are ok with vaseline. Don't use mealworms with any burrowing species. They are not a particularly good food anyway but they will establish within your sand substrate and then act like little egg seeking missiles once they find a fresh laid egg. This goes with mealworms and dragon eggs as well. A large knobtails will also happily eat small live pinkies.

When I kept geckos, I would just put the meal worms in a small dish or a small plant dish. Some would get out but they eventually all got eaten. The crickets I'd just let out. Watching little leopard geckos hunt is pretty funny. I can't see it being too different for the species you keep there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back