feeding pygmy bearded dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_lisa

Reaction score
hey i have 3 pygmy bearded dragons and i feed them crickets with some calciam stuff from the reptile shop.
i used to have a adult bearded dragon a few yrs ago and i remember seeing u could feed them cat and dog wet food well i was wondering if u could do it with baby pygmy's there 11 months old.
i own a cat and crickets are expensive and dont last long with three thought i could give them cat food hear and there if it was ok for them and also whats the best way to get them onto cat food as i dont think they have ever had anything that dont move.

cheers
john

its not ok, beardies arent designed to digest all that animal protien and fat, thats just asking for liver disease.

The best thing u could do is wean your beardies onto a largely salad diet with a bunch of insects thrown in weekly,..roaches breed themselves,...so if you set up a colony the food would be free and healthy.

its not ok, beardies arent designed to digest all that animal protien and fat, thats just asking for liver disease.

The best thing u could do is wean your beardies onto a largely salad diet with a bunch of insects thrown in weekly,..roaches breed themselves,...so if you set up a colony the food would be free and healthy.

I agree. Cat food should only be a treat if you're going to use it at all. Veges are the way to go, chopped finely for smaller dragons, with calcium mixed through.

Try:

80% dark leafy vegetables (like silverbeet, spinach or bok choy, lettuce is no good)

15% other veges (squash, zucchini, or sweet potato but not too much carrot)

5% fruit (Apples and tomatoes are good, banana can be too mushy and cause mouth problems)

Change it around a bit for variety and remember, just like kids, if they dont like it at first, they'll get used to it eventually!

And woodies are incredibly easy to keep as a colony.

Good luck.

what about getting them to eat it and get used to it should i force fedd well not force but open there mouths and put it in??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back