feeding wild mice to snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ace#74

Reaction score
hi iv just eben wondering would it be alright to feed dead wild mice to snakes if they have been frozen for a while and not killed by posions cheers

I wouldn't risk it personally, there is no way to know for sure whether they have or have not ingested any type of poison. There was a similar thread recently on feeding wild pidgeons to snakes, look it up, I am pretty sure the general concensus was that it's not worth the risk.

If it came from bushland or similar IMO it should most likely be fine if frozen. In a built up area it could be eating anything, so obviouly there is alot more of a risk.

why possibly kill a $300 snake to save a couple of $$ on feed..Stay away from wild mice who knows they could have a belly full of ratsack

just imagine the kind of junk they (wild mice) have eaten. The majority of feeder mice rats have been fed quality food. As the saying goes - we are what we eat. No way would I feed wild - it's not worth it.

New type rodenticides are slow acting and even if a lethal does is not ingested it can remain in the tissue for months, it's transfered to the predator and can accumulate in their body over time to a point where it becomes lethal.

50c a mouse? I don't think i would bother feeding a wild one i had patiently spent money on to refrigerate for 6 months

Im studying vet and doing parasitology at the moment - you would not believe some of the (very cool) parasites mice act as transport hosts for... can end up with some very dead animals if not careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back