Feeding young aspidities

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalicious

Reaction score
G'day APS members

The Aspidities genus (Woma and Black Headed Pythons) are reptile eaters in the wild and because of this, they do not handle fatty diets or being over fed. My question for owners is...

At what age do you start restricting the diet or how do you control the diet of your Womas and/or black heads?

The reason for this question is that i have been told some very conflicting information recently, so i want to get as many peoples opinions on this subject as possible.

Thanks in advance

Most woma dont get as big as bhp. For them medium rats are fine. They don't carry the fat like a large or a jumbo rat. For the larger sized bhp I feed medium rats too, supplemented with rabbits. You can get them onto 300-400gm rabbits easily and they aren't fatty.
There's no restriction of diet, you feed food items that relate to the size of the snake and don't feed fatt food items.

What about younger snakes, this is where ive heard the conflicting information, how much/often do you feed them?

i was told you cant over feed young black heads, no matter how much you feed them, they just grow in length and wont gain weight until they are older.

Its pretty logical that any snake growing , either length or width is putting on weight.
As hatchlings I start them on weaner mice, sometimes scented with lizard. once they are feeding they quickly go onto adult mice. Then slowly increase as they grow. Right now I feed 14mth old juvies small rats.
Feed every 7-10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back