Field Trip, Central/East Vic (Mainly mammals)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

junglepython2

Field Trip, Central/East Vic (Mainly Gliders and Possums)

I recently spent two weekends, one last year and one more recently helping with some field work on possums in one location in Victoria. These are some of the pics from the two trips which mainly consist of the various possums and gliders but thought I would throw in a few others.

Most of the finds were found spotlighting for a couple of hours after dark.

Common ringtail possums, Pseudocheirus peregrinus were probably the most abundant of the possums.
Ringtail2.jpg

Ringtail.jpg

Next on the list would have been the bobuck of mountain brushtail possum Trichosurus cunninghamii

Mum with baby
bobuckmumbub.jpg

Pair
bobucks2.jpg

Lone animal
bobuck2.jpg

The closely related common brushtail, Trichosurus vulpecula were also present but not in as high numbers.

A pair
Commonbrushtails.jpg

Lone animal
commonbrushtail.jpg

There were also numerous greater gliders, Petauroides volans, seen, these were usually always high in the canopy and difficult to get a decent shot of, they did have a wicked eye shine.
Greaterglider2-1.jpg

GreaterGlider4.jpg

GreaterGlider3.jpg

GreaterGlider.jpg

The highlight of the first trip had to be the sugar gliders Petaurus breviceps, which were rather small and hard to spot.
Glidercropped.jpg

sugarglider3.jpg

Sugarglider.jpg

The highlight of the second trip was this little guy, the feather-tail glider, Acrobates pygmaeus. This guy was tiny much smaller then a mouse and are very rarely seen in these parts.
FeatherTailcrop.jpg

Feathertail3.jpg

Feathertail2.jpg

Other mammals seen were the eastern grey kangaroo, Macropus giganteus
EasternGreys.jpg

The swamp wallaby, Wallabia bicolor
SwampWallaby.jpg

Koalas Phascolarctos cinereus were also regularly seen and heard.
Koala.jpg

koala2.jpg

Echindna's Tachyglossus aculeatus were also occasionally seen during daylight hours.
Echidna.jpg

Several other mammal species such as bats, antichinus and bush rats were also observed but I didn't get any decent photographs.

A few birds, such as this tawny frogmouth, Podargus strigoides and owlet night jar, Aegotheles cristatus were spotted, unfortunetly no powerful owls on this trip.
TawnyFrogmouth.jpg

Owletnightjar.jpg

A few frog species were seen, but only a few photographs taken, I believe these to be the southern brown tree frog, Litoria ewingi, but feel free to correct me.
SouthernBrowntreefrog.jpg

frog.jpg

And lastly a few lowly reptiles to keep the thread relevant to the site.

Lerista bouganvillii
slider.jpg

Hemiergis decresiensis
Blackskink.jpg

And last but not least the holy grail of Australian herpetology, the small eyed snake, Cryptophis nigrescens
smalleyed2.jpg

smalleyed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back