Finally

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
Ok, my coastal finally ate a rat. It took me 11 and half months. I did not feed her for three and a half weeks, and then I tried a trick I think Afric or Lutz gave me a long time ago. I thawed the rat then right before I fed it to her I ran some scalding hot water over it and then took it out the bag and gave her, no hesitation it was gone. After putting her back in her cage, she went straight and curled up in her water dish. That leads to my question, is this normal? I can tell by the stuff in the water that sh goes in, but I have never seen her do it. The rat was a bit bigger than an adult mouse so not a huge bulge, just longer. I am pleased but also wondering if I am being paranoid. Either way she ate a rat so I am glad. Thanks to all that gave me advice over the year I have had her.
Moses

thats good news moses.
the world record for gap in between feed is 3 years 3 months .the snake was rehabilitated to full physical condition

PG the snake was eating mice fine, just not rats.

Nice one moses!
As for the soak in the bowl, can't comment from personal experience, again this is just something I have heard: If a meal is a bit too large for a snake, they may go into their bowl to take preassure off them from the weight of the prey.. but as you said your meal was not really large, then that shouldn't be a problem. The only other anecdotal info I have regarding bowl soaking is in the case of mites, or maybe to assist a shed, could either of these be the case? If not maybe he just wanted a dip?
I'm intetersted to see what the more experienced members say...

I got my snake onto rats too finally, i had tried 5 times with dead rat pups but today i did live and she took it. (and no she didnt take a dip after her meal)

Talking about Rats,
I had the worst experience the other day.
Purchased two small live Rats, (had no frozen ones in stock) so I tried to kill the poor little buggas, zapping them with 65000 volt. (Chucked out device out now) Do you think I could kill them, after what felt about 5min. torture I had to eventually kill them manually so to speak.
I felt really bad after and will only buy frozen from now on.
I felt like in the movie ? the green mile?, for those that have seen it.
I think it would have been better and quicker feeding them live.
Just left a bad taste in my mouth. :evil:

Well shs has no mites, so it could be a shed thing. Just checked and she took a crap in the water, so I hope that was all she wanted to do.
Moses

yeah but i think thats only ok for rat pups, not adult rats, because they can cause damage.

What type of device was it Artie? If it was something like a Tesla Coil you could have had them on it all day without them exiting this mortal coil. It is the current and not the voltage that kills so if the device can't deliver more than 50mA ya can zap 'em all day to know avail! The flick and brick method still remains the best in my opinion :)

Afro, it did not say anything about the current, only 65000v, I tried it on myself for a split second, through my shoe and I felt like I just created a new world record in high jump he he and it surly would kill a small Rat in no time.
I have since been told by two of my sons (both sparkys) the same as you just did.
Should have consulted with them first I guess, but I thought Father knows best.
Flick and brick it will be.
Cheers

Just a tip on the "Flick and Brick" method Artie, Take food and water off the rats 24 hours before you top 'em and there won't be half as much blood or crap flying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back