first time snake owner :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmeg92

Reaction score
hi there i am a first time snake owner i am getting my first snake tomorrow which is a stimson python im from W.A i have been around a few snakes when i was younger my room mate had a swcp and now finally have my own home and just got my own license and i am so excited for tomorrow :) i feel like a little kid would feel like at christmas time :) hehehhehe i have a 6 ft terrarium doesnt anyone have any helpful tips for me ? please share !

thank you very much
kind regards

Meagan Ridley

How old is the snake. If it is only young it is best to keep it in a small click clack container until is bigger/feeding normally. If they are put into a large enclosure they sometimes won't eat.

If it is older it should be ok to go into the larger enclosure as long as it has plenty of hides and a good temperature gradient.

I know it is hard but don't handle they snake until it is feeding regularly in your care. Eg 3-4 feeds then try handling it.

Gday there. Dont forget snakes are good at escaping. With fish tanks ect. Make sure they cant lift the lid.
Dont forget to post some pic's when you get your snake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heya Meagan.

Personally I would recommend buying a little 600X350X300mm exclosure. as others above have said try and stay away from a really large enclosure to begin with. my Stimmies (as you already know) are approx 60cm long and they are living in a tank the same size as listed above. One of these should only set you back $50 (second hand) or 100-120ish brand new. Snakes need to be familar with their surroundings (in captivity). One other tip try and take your snake out of the enclosure when you feed it. It can help it distinguish the difference with enclosure and feeding times. Also if you are game (and don't mind bites to being with) try using your hand to get them out. Mine are hand friendly and I can get them out with a hook or anything-only takes about 5-10 bites :) and at a small size that doesn't hurt.
Also as I recently learnt do not under estimate your snakes feeding patterns or size of food. If unsure just ask. But my stimmies just ate their first hopper rats and they are only 60cm long. Took them 25 mins though was amazing to see (http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...2/stimmies-just-devoured-first-hopper-173417/) Snakes require food that stretches their body and head to stimulate growth and help release hormones which promote growth :) pinkie mice should be suffient till they are about 4-5 months then I would recommend Pinkie rats till 10 months and then Hoppers from their :)

Good luck and let me know how it all goes!

Congrats on your first :)

Keeping Children's Pythons - By Greg Fyfe & Darren Green. HerpBooks sell it $15 a good ref to start with.

He is 2 1/2 years he feeds on full grown mice 1 every 10 days he's is a metro long when we first brought him home he was great and since putting him in his enclosure he is forever trying to strike even through the glass I got told to fees home the day after I got him and he wouldn't take it so as I was told I put it in the opening of his hide and still hasn't eaten it :/ should I be worried is he just stressed? Being in a new enclosure ect....?

How long have you had him for now? I usually let my new snakes settle a couple of days before feeding them.

How are your temps? Whats the hot and and the cold end like? Have you got hides at both ends? you could put a hide in the middle 2! I put 3 hides in 2 and it helped! I ask because I had some issues with my stimmie feeding and once I got her temps correct (making sure she had belly warmth) she has had 2 feeds with me now!! Can you take a pic of the set up please? May help give us an idea!

It's usually recommended to let the snake settle in to its new home for a week or so before bothering it too much with handling or feeding. Imo i would leave him for a week with minimal disturbance, only disturb him if you need to clean up mess or change water, then try again.

Yeah leave him for a solid week then try again. With him being that size I would also suggest upping his food size. He needs bigger. Try Rats they are more nutritious and better value for money. He should be able to eat a Medium Sized Adult Rat once a week to every 10 days. Mine only ate their first hoppers on Saturday and already they are wanting more!

Do you guys recommend having a day light lamp in a Stimson enclosure? Do you guys have day light lamps in your enclosures?

I have a small fluro set up at the top of my tank. If they are in a well Lit area its not cruical, just makes it look better. More of a personal choice i beleive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back