First time taking Ekans around town

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Far simpler to leave it home. You'll need permits from both states as mentioned, to cover the exit/entry Qld-NSW and the exit/entry NSW-Qld. Qantas and a few regional airlines do take reptiles on any flight they are booked on, but through AaE (Australian Air Express), not the airline itself. Virgin and the other interstate airlines have a complete embargo on reptiles.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie :)

*Shakes fist in air*
Damn you Snakes on a Plane!!! Why do you have to make it harder for the rest of us.

That was my thought exactly when I was first looking into it! I was so frustrated that I even mildly considered putting Steve in my pocket to get through security lol :p

Lets forget about the permits and legal side of things for a minute.
A snake can't possibly regulate its temps while hanging off your neck as you stroll through an air conditioned shopping centre or anywhere else you happen to take it. Leave the poor creature at home to settle in to his enclosure and once he's finally settled in - leave him there its his home and I'm sure its where he feels most comfortable. A snake is not a necklace mate its a living creature with needs that can't be met while you're off creeping people out.

A snake can't possibly regulate its temps while hanging off your neck as you stroll through an air conditioned shopping centre or anywhere else you happen to take it. Leave the poor creature at home to settle in to his enclosure and once he's finally settled in - leave him there its his home and I'm sure its where he feels most comfortable. A snake is not a necklace mate its a living creature with needs that can't be met while you're off creeping people out.
Hmmm...this post screams "I haven't read any of the other posts"

I read all the posts mate only 3 or 4 people even commented on the fact that its no good for the snake then the convo switched to movement and permits etc. Funny how you find the need to make a remark like that while you have a snake out in public as your profile picture. Its ok its obvious you don't like what I said and I'm sure that comes from the fact you take your pets around town like an irresponsible owner aswell. Good on ya champ I like your hat decorations :)

I read all the posts mate only 3 or 4 people even commented on the fact that its no good for the snake then the convo switched to movement and permits etc. Funny how you find the need to make a remark like that while you have a snake out in public as your profile picture. Its ok its obvious you don't like what I said and I'm sure that comes from the fact you take your pets around town like an irresponsible owner aswell. Good on ya champ I like your hat decorations :)

That was my fault, sorry. I kind hijacked the thread.

IMO if I had Steve "around my neck" and he is too hot/cold he will move.

Edit: I don't mean it in a snappy way, I re-read it just now and it is kinda short. Sorry.

Last edited:
Pretty sure your snake would prefer to stay home where he is comfortable. He probably doesn't care about the impending birth:)

That is a silly thing to say. I care about him being fed and monitored, not how soon i can introduce him to my niece. He is a hatchie and would be quite "comfortable" in a click clack for a few weeks or whatever.

Whilst I agree with you about not taking snakes out in public I do think that the air temperature being cool would not bother them too much when they have a self regulating heat mat (your body) at 36 degrees. Maybe they would get too warm eventually but I do not think they would get cold. Like I said though I agree that snakes should not be hung around the neck in public for attention.

Thats a good point I didn't think of that, I guess they could get too hot like you said. I still think they should be admired and not taken around town for the owners enjoyment but I guess it does the snake no harm just stress maybe and I wouldn't want to stress my pet out.

Thats a good point I didn't think of that, I guess they could get too hot like you said. I still think they should be admired and not taken around town for the owners enjoyment but I guess it does the snake no harm just stress maybe and I wouldn't want to stress my pet out.
I keep my snakes for viewing only and only handle them when cleaning and I will do a check over and weigh them at this time so mainly once a month. I do not really have a problem with others handling their own snakes as long as it does't cause the snake stress as you said and can see the value of having snakes in public for educational purposes but hate when show offs parade their snakes in public for self gratification.

Fair enough how often is too often to handle them? I think its alright if people handle them at home a little bit so they are familiar with it but showing them off at the risk of stressing them out is just not worth it. Good point about having them out to educate people I don't have anything against that as long as the animal doesn't mind.

Fair enough how often is too often to handle them? I think its alright if people handle them at home a little bit so they are familiar with it but showing them off at the risk of stressing them out is just not worth it. Good point about having them out to educate people I don't have anything against that as long as the animal doesn't mind.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. As long as the herp doesn't (appear to) mind which IMO means they're not trying to get away from you or clearly distressed. Within reason of course :) I don't think any pet wants to be held constantly.

Yeah each snake is different, some appear to tolerate being handled a lot more than others and I don't have a problem with reptile keepers that want to be more hands on with their reptiles because that is what keeps them interested in the hobby and as said a few times before as long as it isn't to the detriment of the reptile go for it.

2 sides to this:

1 - Taking it outside is pretty silly.
2 - Snakes aren't made of glass, it's not going to die from going outside, how many dead snakes do you see at reptile expos, by the logic of some they should be well on their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back