fixed scorp tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymike

Reaction score
Hey guys i fixed up my tank i took PhilK's good advice and i think i got the idea!!!

i got about 1cm of gravel rest made up of a 50/50 soil and cocopeat mix in there with some tubes going from the gravel to the top!! and plenty of hiding space

good pics of scorps too enjoying theyre new home instra of 1cm of redsand!

Attachments

• DSC00342.jpg
    DSC00342.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00343.jpg
    DSC00343.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00344.jpg
    DSC00344.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 67
The top is glass but has round holes the size of maybe a 20 cent coin in it??? should i be keeping it off all together?

Yes, take it off. For a good FB to work you need open ventilation. Mesh top is the easiest. When I made my first FB I left the glass top on and the sides would fog up. It is also not desirable to have too much water for the scorps as this can cause (mycocis sp?). Heading in the right direction !

hrmmmm good call...... how do i go about making a mesh top for it,

you need to make a frame out of wood dont you?

Yes, basic frame and I covered mine with Flyscreen. Very simple job that does the trick.

FluffyHouse4.jpg

As you can see, this was in its early stage as the soil mix was still too wet, but it dried out quickly.

buy a picture frame that will fit over the top of the tank.
take the glass out and put mesh in..
cheap and easy

use either no lid or a mesh cover as suggested.

Scorpions can't climb glass. I've never kept a lid on a scorpion tank and never had an escape.

It looks better, but the gravel layer could be deeper, and the cocopeat/sand mixture could also be deeper. The tank is so high you have heaps of space not being used. You may as well deepen the substrate to allow more use of the full height of the tank. Try cleaning your glass too haha

Still don't like the fact you're housing 3 adults together, but what can you do?

Scorpions can't climb glass. I've never kept a lid on a scorpion tank and never had an escape.

Still don't like the fact you're housing 3 adults together, but what can you do?

Hi Phil. :)

They can climb silicone though ?

Hmm, 3 adults, seperate with paneling maybe? Are they all female or male?

hate to steal the thread but why do you put in so much substrate?

To allow the scorps to burrow punja. They're naturally animals that burrow, so that's what they need to do for a healthy life. You could keep GTPs in a long flat tank, but you wouldn't.

Also, with a false bottom system, the deeper the substrate the better the moisture gradient is.

To allow the scorps to burrow punja. They're naturally animals that burrow, so that's what they need to do for a healthy life. You could keep GTPs in a long flat tank, but you wouldn't.

Also, with a false bottom system, the deeper the substrate the better the moisture gradient is.

not elongatus, its a scrape dweller along with manicatus and planimanus. You can keep scrape dwellers on much shallower substrate then burrowers. Also i have been speaking to others and it has been proven that the paint on these glowing rocks leaches out over time and alot of these sort of products are harmfull to animals.

Re Fixed

Hey guys

i had some cocopeat and soil left so i put more in.... i still have to make the new lid but that will come soon

ive done it for me flinders and for my southerns

Attachments

• DSC00373.jpg
    DSC00373.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00375.jpg
    DSC00375.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 33
Much better but now it looks a little dry hahaha. Add a bunch of water to your gravel and it should soak up through the substrate. Top should still be dry but about halfway up there should be a notable 'fading out' of moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back