FLY PROBLEM

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonlover1

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with flies getting into a juvie tub and laying eggs. This is the second time in a couple of weeks I have found maggots in and around the water bowl . I don't see how a fly could get through the air holes , but I am not too worried about this python because she is nearly a year old and this is only 1 tub.
My concern is because I have a clutch of spotted pythons due to hatch and I'm worried about the effect of maggots with my hatchies.

i had issues with flies laying eggs on food i was thawing and then the eggs hatching later in the day

i had issues with flies laying eggs on food i was thawing and then the eggs hatching later in the day
no it's not that. Food has well and truly been eaten. maggots have been days after food day, this girl is a real guts and eats real quick.
Also I cover the defrosting rodents with a lid, because we have some big pythons and lacies so the rats can take a while

I found your post quite interesting and got me wondering 🤔 you say in a juvie tub so I assume it's only one tub/snake? Is it possible the food is very fresh? As fly lavae or eggs can survive the gastrointestinal tract. It's called myiasis I believe

I found your post quite interesting and got me wondering 🤔 you say in a juvie tub so I assume it's only one tub/snake? Is it possible the food is very fresh? As fly lavae or eggs can survive the gastrointestinal tract. It's called myiasis I believe
yes correct, 1 snake only. The food is frozen and defrosted on day of feeding so there should be no eggs in there and there is no faeces for the eggs to come from or eat

Interesting. Many fly eggs can survive being frozen. I can't fathom how else? Either from snakes mouth when drinking or from faeces/bowels. Assuming the tub, water bowl and substrate are clean.

Interesting. Many fly eggs can survive being frozen. I can't fathom how else? Either from snakes mouth when drinking or from faeces/bowels. Assuming the tub, water bowl and substrate are clean.
every week when I feed her I swap the tub and the water bowl and put fresh paper even if she hasn't fouled it. Both of my pygmy banded eat the same size mouse so the chance of her getting frozen fly eggs twice and not him are pretty remote I would think.
I have been keeping snakes for 8 years and never had this problem before, there are a dozen snakes plus a couple of lacies so we go through a fair few rodents

every week when I feed her I swap the tub and the water bowl and put fresh paper even if she hasn't fouled it. Both of my pygmy banded eat the same size mouse so the chance of her getting frozen fly eggs twice and not him are pretty remote I would think.
I have been keeping snakes for 8 years and never had this problem before, there are a dozen snakes plus a couple of lacies so we go through a fair few rodents
Well I'm stumped? Interested to know if you get to the bottom of it or if anyone else has an explanation/theory?

Back