For the computer whizzez out there!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own two Dells - one is an Alienware admittedly (and over priced, but I got a very good teacher deal and salary sacrifice - so it was very very cheap in the end) and both are absolutely awesome... The Latitude literally works 7 - 7 every single day of the teaching year.... gets moved class to class... Goes wireless and wired... Movies and powerpoint... Word and photoshop... all run perfectly off the i5 and 4GB of ram....

Dell computers always make me cringe. My first desktop was a Dell... within three months, the power supply blew, within a year the motherboard blew (and it literally blew up.) The only thing left of its original self now is the case ;)

Alienware I don't mind... but the laptops are useless for university. They weight about as much as a desktop. I've never had a problem with Toshiba's and Asus *knock on wood* and ended up buying a little netbook from Asus so I can't play WoW in lectures...

Dell computers always make me cringe. My first desktop was a Dell... within three months, the power supply blew, within a year the motherboard blew (and it literally blew up.) The only thing left of its original self now is the case ;)

Alienware I don't mind... but the laptops are useless for university. They weight about as much as a desktop. I've never had a problem with Toshiba's and Asus *knock on wood* and ended up buying a little netbook from Asus so I can't play WoW in lectures...

You know - you're absolutely 100% spot on there... Alienwares are too heavy - way too heavy for uni! I originally anticipated I'd use it at school - but it's too heavy for that to!

But as for the Dell blowing up - I have no personal experience of that - in fact, I've had nothing but good help from the Dell helpdesk when needed (all minor stuff). But... on the same, I have heard horror stories too... But no worse than I have heard from other major brands.

hey i would look around for Acer's they are nice computers.. dont waste your time on a mac .. dells are nice but their support is ****..

Sorry to drag up a 10 day old thread... But this thread got me thinking...

Apple....??? Why would you???

Can someone please answer this for me (it seems to be a riddle).

If I bought the same computer Khagan recommended for $999 (which has an i7 and a reasonable graphics card - and from what he said it's awesome for the price). But then I add an extra $300 to get an i3 chip set and many pre-determined features that can't be upgraded... Plus a much smaller screen.

So why would anyone still choose Apple now they use the same chip sets???? I'm so confused :(

The Apple Crew will probably lynch me for this but Apples have always been for the "cool" people who want to give Windows the finger. It's not about performance it's about being trendy and different. Yes they are less prone to viruses but get a free anti-virus and don't be stupid about your web browsing and you get the same result with a PC.
In saying that though, from speaking to friends who own them, they are supposedly very intuitive and easy to work with for art/music/video creation. So if that is your requirement then yeah they are better. For the regular person though I agree Slimy it's an unnecessary waste of money got inferior specs.

My partner works for a large university where they used to run half macs and half pcs. A couple of years ago they switched over to all macs since macs can now boot up in windows. Far less maintainence issues now than before....and that's according to the IT guys!

More expensive......initially yes...but if you add in all the exras and time wasted trying to connect things to a pc, then the diffference is negligable.

Unless you're a serious gamer, I believe macs are a much better choice.

Statistics wise, the two best brands are:

-Apple
-Samsung

But I hate macs so go with the samsung if you want a stock made computer.
I would rather build my own ;)

In my opinion it makes little difference which brand you choose from at the price range you are considering. All brands offer similar products with minor differences in specs. The major differences between each brand are the monitors, each brand sources there own and some are better then others and, laptop ergonomics, some are **** house and some are just weird, you should really try before you buy. I agree that having a keypad is great but only if you use it regularly otherwise its not worth the premium for the increase in specs that are associated with it.

The things you need to consider when buying a laptop should be (but aren't limited too):
-monitor size (the bigger the heavier)
-processing power vs battery life (no point being able to run the world if it only lasts 10mins)
-graphics (some have cards others don't, depends what you need)
-hard drive capacity (do you need heaps, sata drives, or a little, SSD drives)
-available ports (can be affected by the motherboard you choose but the more USB and display out puts the better)
-upgradability, I would always up the ram and battery pack and maybe the HDD if you need it but bigger HDD's in laptops are generally slower

I would have no problems (yes I have or do own something from all brands) buying any HP, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo, MSI, Acer or Alienware (weight.....) and all come with risks in terms of hardware quality. What needs to be remembered is generally a hardware fault is not associated with the brands but more the hardware makers. Most don't make the motherboards that go into the machines so you can't fault them if you get a lemon every now and then.

While I will never convince the fan boys I personally don't like apple anything. They are overpriced, under spec'd, and nothing I use will run on it. OOO and I don't generally do what a man wearing a black shirt and jeans tells me too.................. :p (jokes guys)

(or is it)

Keep in mind this is purely MY OPINION and may be wrong in others eyes.

So it's a no brainer really...

If you're running windows get a PC based lappy or desktop. If you're running Mac OS then get a Mac...

But tell me (oh god... slim is asking another question) - if Macs can run Windows, then can Windows based PCs run Mac OS??? Then it becomes a double no brainer!!!

Samsung builds it's own componments and so their laptops are almost fully home brewed which also makes them cheaper and better value.
Compared to toshiba, sony, hp etc... who don't.

Samsung doesn't break down as much as the other brands do. Nether do macs.

slim you can make hybrids with ether systems. I have a PC that has both Mac and windows.

Hey guys..so I've got another question to ask. My brother has a spare Toshiba P-100 but it's faulty and restarts all the time. Would it be better to fix that and use it or buy a laptop that's under $1000? I've had some time to think about it and anything over $1000 is over kill because I've already got a good enough desktop and only use the laptop for uni work and watch a couple of movies in my break time between classes. What do you think guys? Thanks for all the inputs so far!

It depends how easy it is to fix. If it just needs a reformat and reinstall of windows then it's definitely worth it (it's basically free) but if it's something more serious it may be expensive to fix

It depends how easy it is to fix. If it just needs a reformat and reinstall of windows then it's definitely worth it (it's basically free) but if it's something more serious it may be expensive to fix

Yeah I guess..but it's also very heavy! I'm leaning towards buying a new laptop I think. This thing is just like a brick!

Haha yeah lugging around a heavy laptop at uni sucks balls. Have you thought about a netbook? If it's only for that stuff they are great

I haven't heard of a netbook before. Recommend me a brand? or a model?

Netbooks are the same as laptops.. they are just smaller.. so brands are still the same really.. just specs will determine what you want.. I would have to agree $1000+ is overkill so anything you like under that should go well!! and totally agree with saximus relating to the p100

Netbooks are the same as laptops.. they are just smaller.. so brands are still the same really.. just specs will determine what you want.. I would have to agree $1000+ is overkill so anything you like under that should go well!! and totally agree with saximus relating to the p100

Yeah mate it's just not worth the effort of bringing a brick around with you all day and night. I think I'll go with a net book then since all I'm using it for are assignments and movies.

Wait untill the new intel chips are released which is like 2-3 weeks away i believe. Means you can get a faster processor for the same amount $$ or you should be able to get a current model for 5% off or so.

Not sure why you'd fork out ridiculous amounts for Macs, seeing as though they're largely the same architecture as x86 / IA32 machines. Only bother if you've got too much money to spend and you're a hipster, IMO.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, possibly consider going for business models. The chassis is (usually) better.

Sorry I can't give more specific hints. My last machine I bought in 2008. Although I can offer better advice beyond typical consumer / purchasing type questions.

DON'T go to ANY of the main stream suppliers, they'll rip you blind.

your two viable options are either Umart Computer Notebook&PC Parts - Umart online� Your one stop Computer Shop for computer parts,notebook and new system or Computer Alliance Pty Ltd (more expensive, but better service) these both have a decent range and will save you hundreds over hardly normal, jb or any one else.

also be aware of notebooks, which pretty much all come with windows starter edition, which is SO cut down that you can't even change the background without 3rd party software, it has serious limitation and can ONLY run three applications at once. (hard lesson learned there)

another note to take, that your laptop of choice has an access panel to the fan that can be removed so you can clean dust from it (it happens often enough to be needful, and ridiculously hard to clean if it doesn't have one)

all computers come pre-installed with a LOAD of crap software and bad antivirus such as norton much of which needs removing (including a timed version of office that shuts down after a month, so if you need that, be sure to purchase a full student copy if you're a student to save yourself the hassle)
they also don't come with a windows cd and need a recovery disk made asap if anything goes wrong.

also buy 2 USB sticks of decent size to make two back ups of IMPORTANT data and KEEP stuff backed up every few days, you have no idea of how many people lose EVERYTHING either due to virus or hardware failure.
ignore at your own risk.

WHEN you get it, look me up, i'm in oxley and I can streamline the crap out of it VERY cheaply

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back