For those who keep feed records

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Download the Snake Keeper App. You can record weight, length, feeds, shedding, defecation and also gives you a brief overview of statistics (averge days between sheds), notes and you can also schedule feeds.

I have only had my snake for about 1 month but I added in all the feeding, shedding records that came with her from day dot and I find it absolutely fascinating!!

Last edited:
I had the Snake Keeper app, but it crashed and I lost many valuable records. Fortunately, I had exported the data for a couple of my snakes. Now I just keep track in an Excel spreadsheet with a tab for each animal. I also email this to my yahoo mail account after any major feeding session so that the data are on the yahoo server if my computer goes down. I also keep more detailed handwritten notes about any breeding pairs. These are very handy the next year.

A 'small rat' from one breeder may be a med or extra small at another breeder.

I've seen 'large' rats at pet shops which are smaller than some of what I sell as smalls! My smalls are 65-95g, I've seen 'large' rats in pet shops around 80-90g, and 'jumbo' or 'extra large' well under 150g! I've had to relabel some of my sizes because people kept coming to pick up their adult rats and saying "Wow! That's huge! My snake can't eat that!". I label them all by weight as well, but most people just go by word labels and the weights are meaningless to them.

OCD (over collecting data):) is something I have encountered before. I once met a keeper who in addition to the data you keep also recorded rat colour and sex of prey item given.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

You've made me feel slightly less eccentric!

There are various strains of rats about. Our breeding females average about 350 grams over 1000s of them. I have seen 1000gram rats but chose to use rabbits to produce larger food items.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have one snake (already looking forward to a second) but being new I keep a record of everything, hand written and also on the Snake keeper app. I record every meal including what it was and weight, weight of my snake, length, defecation, shedding, when I clean etc. all for my own reference which has come in handy since I am new to all this and is adding to the whole learning experience.

I also have a full in depth record from the breeder which started the day the clutch hatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back