Found eggs - from GORDON and DELTA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I received the following email. This person is not a member (although I've suggested they join, of course;-)), but I thought I'd post their query here in case someone could help them.

"Hi
We found a clutch of 10 eggs , when the excavator was digging a dam. The are about on inch long.They were in orange clay, one wonders who they got there, just in the side of the clay wall.
I now have them in an old glass fish tank and covered them with the same soil. Do you think they will hatch and what do you think they could be. We live between Kuranda andMareeba north Qld.
On the first day a tiapan attacked the escavator, but slide down the bank to the rainforest.
We also have big goannas. Do they bury eggs so deep in clay? Anyway hopng you can help us with this.
Cheers
Gordon and Delta"

Possible but if its nowhere near a water source, probly unlikely. Although
eastern longnecks do travel some distance overland at certain times of the year in search of new waterholes, id think a gravid turtle would wait till she got there. Not sure if they would dig in clay in a dry area.
I think they "release" water at the site to soften the ground for digging, then "drop" their plastron ontop afterto pack it down. Releasing water in a dry area far from water would be disasterous for the turtle.

Craig???????

Digging a new dam, or enlarging an existing one?
just in the side of the clay wall.
I read that as saying they were in the wall of an existing dam, but could be wrong :)

Ah well, in that case could well be turt eggs. I must of missed that. :oops:
I hope they hatch anyway, be good to find out. :)

Ask for some pics if poss lutzd ;) I'm sure there are people here who could hazard a pretty good guess then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back