freshwater crocs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

murry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi iam looking at extending my collection and think it is time i got a nice little fresh water croc and if anyone could answer some questions it would be greatly appreacited does the ph for crocs need to be neutrual (7) or should it be something else, is a 6ftx2ftx2ft tank big enough for one to live in with a dry area and basking light, what temp should the water be and if live fish are put in there for food can they cause any problems if left in there with ample hiding places.
any info would be greatly appreacited thanks

id know, but the missus wont let me!!! :(
although she did say it would be better than a lacie! :)

The tank will house it for a few years, depends on how much you feed it will depend on it's growth rate. The more you feed it the quicker it will grow.
Water temp should be mid to high 20's and air temp should be high 30's.
We put uncolored gold fish in with ours, around 5cm's in size, they are cheaper than the colored one's. They get along fine, the croc leaves them alone until it's hungry. Then it eats some...they are good for activity and exercise, it gets chicken necks and rats & mice as well.

i think the enclosure may be a little to small, im housing my Childrens in something bigger. It's up to you though if your on going to keep it for a little while (3 months) it might be ok.

Your housing you Childrens in a enclosure bigger then 6*2*2? That would do a hatchling freshy for atleast 2 years.

When i get my 1st reptile, i plan on housing it in an unfeasibly large tank. As i dont think it can be too big because they are used to bigger in the wild. I hate seeing beasties being kept in small barren enclosures. Hats off to Oenpelli-Girl

i house my salty in a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft tank, and hes 80 cms, my freshies are in a 5 ft by 1 ft tank and they are only 25 cms, all are happy, they do all come out of the tank on a pretty much daily basis though.

temps, anything 27 or above in the water they get really active, so i try to keep it at about 26, and then bump it up for feeding, have a basking light, which hits temps of around 35 - 40.

i have fish in both tanks, they dont last long with the salty, and the freshies have had some fish in there for 3 weeks and still havent eaten them all(4 left of 10) its good because they eat whatever the crocs dont,

i think thats all you asked... need anymore info just ask

Bigger is better. Especially for crocs. 6x2x2 is small for 80 cm croc. Do you know much about how they live in the wild?

6ft tank

Hi , i have a pair of ackies in a 6x2x2 tank and i would consider that adequate for them definately not for growing croc's of 80cm :lol:

Here's a copy from the dse on requirements for your crocodiles.

"3.1.5. Crocodiles

a) For small specimens (up to 25 cm total length), up to two specimens can be maintained in an enclosure measuring 60 cm long x 30 cm wide x 30 cm high.
b) For all specimens, the pond must be at least twice the length of the largest specimen and have a width at least as great as the length of the largest specimen
c) The pool must be deep enough for the largest specimen to submerge completely and swim freely.
d) An additional area of dry land must be provided, which is at least as long and wide as the length of the largest specimen, and which has a basking site with a temperature of 30–33C.
e) It is recommended that only crocodiles up to a total length of 2.5 m are kept. Applications to keep larger specimens should be considered on a case-by-case basis.

3.2. Outdoors

a) Outdoor enclosures are usually only suitable for species from a similar climatic region to that of the enclosure location, as they provide a natural regime of climatic and seasonal conditions.
b) Outdoor enclosures must not be dug below ground level unless there is provision of adequate drainage, notwithstanding clause c), because of the possibility of flooding or muddy conditions following rain.
c) The walls of outdoor enclosures must be constructed of smooth, non-climbable barriers and should continue into the ground not less than 50 cm to prevent reptiles from escaping by climbing or burrowing out. The walls of the enclosure should be of sufficient height to prevent escape. A 45 return, angled inwards on the top of the wall, will also help prevent climbing reptiles from escaping.
d) Shrubs must not be placed close to the enclosure walls, but situated away from them to prevent reptiles from escaping.
e) Enclosures must be constructed so as to prevent unsupervised people from contacting the animals contained within.
f) Outdoor enclosures must:

* provide access to direct sunlight throughout the day;
* provide adequate hiding facilities for all reptiles housed within;
* provide adequate shade at all times of the day;
* be well drained to prevent the accumulation of water and facilitate dehydration of the substrate;
* provide areas which are permanently covered and dry.

g) Crocodiles should not be kept completely outdoors in Victoria. They may be kept in a situation which is partly outdoors provided they have ready access to shelter and appropriate heating.
h) Enclosures must be designed to facilitate ease of maintenance and keeper safety/access."

and also a shortcut to the code of practice for Victoria where this was copied from.
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nreni...56DC6000F7125E7F8E4DBA5A6FDD04A256DEA0027A820

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back