Frog diets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweethips12

Reaction score
Ok im am trying to widen my frogs diet from crickets and woodies and the occasional moth i happen to catch.
I had read that earthworms are good for them, but mine wont touch them at all. Also, i brought some fly pupae, but i am having troble getting it to hatch, has anyone had any experince with this?
So basically long story short, what does everyone feed their frogs, and what other things can i offer them?

thanks

I mainly feed mine crix and woodies, but I have gotten them to eat Silkworms before, I know with GTFs if you can get them to hand feed they will take just about anything.

Gex

http://frogs.org.au/x/media/cs-caerulea.pdf
An American Green Tree Frog's diet usually consists of what ever insect they can catch and swallow. Usually they will eat crickets, moths, flies, and many types of worms. Green Tree Frogs can go up to 21/2 days without eating, and they have been known to prey upon their own kind as a last resort.

Thanks pythons unleashed, i have seen thoes sites, i was more after stuff that i can buy, as it is easier =)
Geckoman, i will try some silk worms when they come back into season, my frogs hand feed, but they just didnt seem keen on the earthworms =(

THIS MIGHT BE WHY THE PUPAE WON'T HATCH .The pupae are shipped on flour, in a cloth bag wrapped in absorbent paper toweling. This packaging is designed to absorb moisture excreted by the pupae, so the the pupae should be dry and nearly odorless.

when you buy the fly pupae you need to make sure that its still active .... some places sell it and its not ..... more or less all i did with it was put some in their tank and hey presto 4 days later little tiny flys ... great for new morphs ... not so good for bigger frogs .... i feed mine crickets woodies every now and again pinky mice or fuzzies they love but can only have them once a month or so .....

Last edited:
mine gobble up anything they can see.
crickets, woodies, mealworms and the occasionally pinky mouse.

yeah mine love crickets and woodies....i just wanted to give them something different. I heard mealworms arnt too good for them?

Hi ,when i had frogs of all sorts ,i used to feed mine crickets ,moths ,beetles and their larvae,woodies ,and mealworms which you can keep in the frigde till you need them for ages ,and good value for money ,and garanteed to be eated everything loves them ,and forget about the old wives tale ,that says if you feed lizards or frogs the mealworms will stay alive and eat their way out killing the creature as its bull! the stomach acids are to strong to even let that happen!,frogs are grouse to keep ,i made a tropical rainforest and a waterfall with a mini pump with rounded river rocks imbeded into a moulded foam background ,hope this helps ,cheers

My gtf usually eat crix but they love moths and spiders as well as what i can find under rocks and wood when im out.
My friends think im crazy when i go to their house for a visit and produce a container for collecting the bugs from their yards.
I also give them rats and mice, chicken necks (smashed down) and sometimes, young snakes and lizards that have died or been still born.(after a few weeks in the freezer)

We have so many different wild frogs at our house. They hang out under our bug zapper on our patio and seem to co exist happily with each other. The bug zapper attracts all sorts of bugs moths and beetles and the big green frogs eat all of these.
One night I noticed a few frogs eating maggots from the bin.....gross.... but they seemed to really be enjoying them.
I also cleaned up a couple of termite mounds in the yard and before long I had small green frogs (I thing Northern dwarf Tree frogs) everywhere eating the termites and lava.
I don't know if this helps but I thought it might be of some help. I will try to get some pics if interested.

red backs

i once saw my friends feed his gtf a red back and he said they were immune to the poison. is this true?

what sort of spiders are we talking about? and chicken necks? thats new to me =)
Huntsmans usually, but they will eat any spider.
Small bits of chicken neck,maybe some insectavore powder on them.
Here's an old vid of my gtfs snacking.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_GhVOA3A-E

[video=youtube;g_GhVOA3A-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_GhVOA3A-E[/video]

Snakeman that is cool! My frog and nice and big and fat like that. i will try them on the pinkies. I dont get to many bugs or spiders around my place cause the dogs get them 1st....i might have to go for a walk down the gardens and try and find some =-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back