frogs how do i get a licence??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jode_01

Reaction score
i am a frog lover they are so cute ,my OH goes around at night killing toads cos we would much rather frogs. i would be interested in finding out how to get a permit to breed (not to sell ,just for the frogs) i'd live to make anice habitat for them in an old 1/2 tank so the toads can't get in .any info on anything would be appriciated . (i get quite a few green tree frogs at night here so i took a pic a few days ago nice hey??)

HUMBOLDT1645.jpg

If you dont have a reptile licence you can keep a pair of upto 4 common species including GTF's. They must be collect on your property and any offspring must also be released there too(this is for qld other states are differant).

If you have a licence you must buy them from a legal source and cannot release them under any circumstances.

IMO you are better off just improving the habitat in your yard. You dont need any permit or anything.

This site is quite helpfull.
http://frogs.org.au/community/

if you want to make an out door setup to encourage your froggy friends to come and live and breed your allowed to do this with out a license ...its only if you want to contain them inside your house, in a setup, that you need to apply to parks n wildlife for a permit...so if the gtfs are in abundance around your place just set up a nice little pond and plant feature in your yard ... I have a pond set up in my garden get heaps of frogs and the pain in the bum toads which are put to death quickly and as painless as possible as i dont like to torture any animal regardless of it not being a native

we have so many (it keeps the city rellos away lol) i just can't believe how lucky i am. so i can keep a breeding pair & just release the babies ???? i'd love to make a toad free area for them. i too hate being cruel .

we have so many (it keeps the city rellos away lol) i just can't believe how lucky i am. so i can keep a breeding pair & just release the babies ????

If you dont have a reptile licence it is legal. However if you do have a licence it is illegal, the main reason being to avoid cross contamination between wild and captive frog diseases. If you arnt selling them and dont keep captive bred frogs it wont cause any harm(not that i would encourage you to break the law).

you dont need a licence
check out the code of practice qld reptiles and amphibians
this is just the first paragraph
8. Take from the wild
General information:
• The Wildlife Management Regulation authorises the collection of a limited range of amphibians from the wild without a licence. This authority applies to unlicensed persons only and allows the person to take least concern amphibians from the persons’ own land and keep them on their own land.
• The collector needs to understand that captive maintenance of the specimen taken may require substantial effort as well as time and money. Conditions outlined in section 9 of this code, Repatriation of the progeny of wild caught amphibians, will apply to the release of captive specimens and the keeper must be familiar with these before taking any specimen from the wild.
• Collectors should only take sub-adult specimens. Importantly, collectors should avoid taking specimens of breeding age or gravid (pregnant) females from the wild, as they will contribute to the maintenance of the wild frog population.

we have a national parks ranger in the next town i might talk to him next time he comes out .

Yeah. you could fence off an area all the way to the ground, so that the agile GTF's could get in, and not the circular Cane Toads, withion this area you could make an awesome habitat for them, and no permit needed. Although this owuld be expensive...:)

well we have some old tanks i was thinking of getting OH to cut one in half & turning over the edges & putting it about a foot into the ground . would this be ok ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back