Frogs/Tadpoles...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonKeeper

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
When I make my pond... If I release a few frogs onto it will they stay or leave?

Would it be best to release tadpoles instead? or woul the fish eat them?

put frogs in it, but make sure they are a local species. If the pond is suitable they will stay, if not they will leave. If its suitable they will actually come by themselvs

I had an idea, To stop birds getting it I could get a "pop-up" pergola from Go-Lo or Bunnings for $20 and put some mesh arounfd the outside, so cats, birds etc, can't kill the fish and frogs....

Would that work?

And Jeez you have been helpful today!

Just please dont take frogs/taddys from one area to another, you risk spreading chytrid fungus to local populations. good luck with your pond, nothing like the sound of frogs of an evening. :)

if you have lots of plants around the edge and most of the water surfaced covered by lillies or native aquatic ferns( genus Marsilea) and have plenty of other fine leaved plants you shouldnt need any cover like that, just a wire grill over the pond to stop herrons and other waders getting in.

well
wen i was about 8 i got tadpoles from my schools dam (i no im not sposed 2 do it but i didnt no that back then lol)
and took them home i put them in a glass fish bowl and put sum briocks in 4 land after a while i had abuot 100 frogs lol
they stayed 4 about a month...........then took off

well
wen i was about 8 i got tadpoles from my schools dam (i no im not sposed 2 do it but i didnt no that back then lol)
and took them home i put them in a glass fish bowl and put sum briocks in 4 land after a while i had abuot 100 frogs lol

I did the same thing but they were all toads

It depends what types of frogs you put in there and what surounding plants you have.

Eg, if you put Brown tree frogs, in then you need lots of long grasses, they dissapear easily cause they are tree frogs and can climb the trees.
But if you get spotties, crinia or bango frogs then they are land frogs who will stay put much more.
All of these frogs are native to SA.

Regarding the fish eating the taddies, it depends on the type of fish you have.

Sarah

With the very serious threats of disease and other issues it is much better to build the pond and then wait for the frogs to come, it may happen quickly or take a couple of years, but is much better.

well

Actually in NSW kids are allowed to catch tadpoles and watch them change to frogs.. But they have to be released after that where they were taken from..

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back