Fussy Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scale_Addiction

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have a lil spencer who is being fussy about food. he is a lil monster so has definatly fed before, but is currently refusing day old chook (chopped up), roo mince and thawed pinky mice, i haven't got any live pinks yet, but when i do, i intend on giving that a go.

any ideas on kick starting this stalled eating cycle?

any other food item sugestions for a spencer?

You could try reeding him every 2-3 days, how ofte do you feed him now?

You can also feed him crickets and woodies... he should demolish those.

My Little spencer was the same, I threw in a live hopper mouse and the movement sparked his interest, once he got the taste for it he ate like a champ, depending on how big he is you could try x-large crickets or locasts or some other large insects, but spencers usually only really take insects in the early years, don't worry he will come good, if every thing in his enclosure is good he will just eat when he gets hungry!
good luck

he hasn't fed since i got him.

that was a week or so ago,

i tried crickets, he wasn't interested.

What about turkey mince? Have heard a few people with monitors say they feed that but not specifically Spencers....worth a try tho :)

Our little tristis wouldn't touch woodies or crix either...apparently they taste like **** :lol:

i would not panic if i was you, monitor can go longer than most lizards without food, although i dont know if its just because its cold.

How hot is the basking spot?

What do you use to heat it?

I would agre with gilleni. Heat, Heat , heat and heat for a spencers. Consider 36-38 degrees at the basking site a good start. If he is sitting to the edge of this raise the light a little. No spencers should ever refuse food. They are like scaly labradors most of the time.

lol dan, i know, all the stories i've heard about spencers, they eat themselves stupid! but this little guy is just being a pain.

their bask spot is at least that hot, it's actually around 50 degrees.
but the basking spot is on a brick so he would move to the cooler area if need be.

what are your thoughts of the cage furniture, should the bask be on a sloping piece of wood rather than the brick?

I wouldn't be too worried about it, a week or 2 is nothing even for a juvenile. I would be trying a pinkie rat or mouse to try and get him stimulated, a change of environment can affect an animal. Give it a hiding spot and the brick is fine although not as aesthetically pleasing as a nice log or flat rock.

any idea on growth rates for these guys boa,
i've heard they reach almost full size around 3 years if fed well.

There are too many variables with growth rates but I would imagine 3 years should quite easily see them up to ful size. If you feed your animals like I feed mine it should be easy :)

That's very close to the truth, we are absolutely inundated with rats and mice at the moment, the snakes can't eat them fast enough, shouldn't complain though I am sure they will slow down.......eventually. :)

jesus, what are you doing that i wasn't?

my mice just about stopped all together over winter (they are outside in the shed and cold though)

they are just starting to get preggo again now.

i am setting up a new 'mouse breeding shed' in the next month, i should have room for heaps more cages then, i am still tossing up on what to do with cages but,
i like the idea of the lab cages, but i just can't bring myself to buy them at the price they are. i know a guy who uses crazy clarks type click-clacks 40l tubs, with mesh attached to the center of the lid, thinking thats the way to go.

The rats I got from you are going crazy, I have 40 odd lab cages of which 2/3 are rats and almost every cage has babies, mostly 20 plus.
The mice have slowed a little over winter but are picking up again now, the colder weather doesn't seem to have affected the rats at all.
My advice would be to use the lab cages, they are more expensive to begin with but they make life so much easier they are worth it in my opinion.

What was he eating before? Give live crickets and woodies a try as well. Most small varanids start their life as insectivores and only become omnivores as they get bigger. Also a bit of privacy never goes astray. They may be obnoxious adults but at baby size they are a prey item for something else and will be quite cautious until they know the coast is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back