galahs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shano92

Reaction score
hey all,

Just wondering what would be a good price for a galah that is realy placide and trained?

Thanks Shane

Around here they are about 100 dollars, but I think that most are wild caught, cause in this part of nsw they are not on the protected species list.

If you get one you have it for a long time!!

They live for 50 years onwards,

We have had ours for 25 years and he was hand raised but not allowed out of his cage as he bites now hehehe.

Around here they are about 100 dollars, but I think that most are wild caught, cause in this part of nsw they are not on the protected species list.
They are a protected species, it's probably the fact they very commonly bred in captivity around your area that brings the price down. If someone's pinching them from the wild they need reporting to NPWS

If you get one you have it for a long time!!

They live for 50 years onwards,

We have had ours for 25 years and he was hand raised but not allowed out of his cage as he bites now hehehe.

yeah i was doing a bit of reading on them and read that they can live until their around 70-80 yrs

thanks everyone, i found one that is very tame loves people and also includes a cage, he just has to work out a price for him.

They are a protected species, it's probably the fact they very commonly bred in captivity around your area that brings the price down. If someone's pinching them from the wild they need reporting to NPWS

sulphur-crested cockatoos and galahs have been declared 'locally unprotected' west of the Great Dividing Range (in the Central and Western divisions of the state), because of the damage they do to grain and oilseed crops - Quoted from NPWS website, here's the link if you would like to double check ;)

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/Content/protected_species

Hi there

I've been looking for the last couple of years for one and near us they are always around $500. If you find any cheaper in Brissy let me know.

Hooroo

sulphur-crested cockatoos and galahs have been declared 'locally unprotected' west of the Great Dividing Range (in the Central and Western divisions of the state), because of the damage they do to grain and oilseed crops - Quoted from NPWS website, here's the link if you would like to double check ;)

Maybe you should do some more reading such as the conditions on your bird keepers licence,
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/bird_licensing_outline.pdf

"all native birds are protected under the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Act and it is against the law to take them from the wild. There are 41 bird species that have been exempted from licensing."

Hi there

I've been looking for the last couple of years for one and near us they are always around $500. If you find any cheaper in Brissy let me know.

Hooroo

hey i saw some cheap ones on pet link i thnk their were some in brisi

Maybe you should do some more reading such as the conditions on your bird keepers licence,
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/bird_licensing_outline.pdf

"all native birds are protected under the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Act and it is against the law to take them from the wild. There are 41 bird species that have been exempted from licensing."

Yes just read that thanks, I also read on to where it said that galahs and sulfur crested cockatoo's (as well as a few others) are exempted from the licensing system, as it is considered there is little risk to their wild populations from aviculture.

Now all I'm saying is that pet shops in this area where galahs are on the "locally unprotected list" and have no licensing requirements they are getting wild caught young galahs and selling them, there is no way to prove that they are wild caught, because as it says in your attachment these can be kept and traded without a license.

Never in my post did I say that I agree with this or do it myself. In fact I think it very wrong esp when you are aware of some of the diseases that the wild populations of galahs and cockatoo's have around here.

Here are a couple of pics of our breeding pair of galahs......

Male
galah_male.jpg

Female
galah_female.jpg

Cheers
Shane

This is Corcky. He is my sons bird. We have [ among other birds ] 6 galahs including Corcky. Hopefully we will get some babies next season. Corcky is only a few months old. My son has started training him to step up and stay on his shoulder. [Hope the pic works. I haven't done this before.]

Last edited:
hey all,
got my galah today, $200 with cage i am very happy with her. i just got to figure out a name for her im thinkin bella.

Cheers Shane

i will post pics in a minute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back