gecko and veg

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gutload crickets and roaches with corn, carrot, banana, orange etc etc before feeding.

-H

They will more than likely lick sap and various flowers though not much work has been done on captive gecko "sweeteners" to my knowledge. Various species have been recorded licking sap and flowers in the wild though.

I bought a thicktail off a person who told me they regularly fed it bok choi, :shock: think the little guy was glad to be in my care and finally get to eat some crickets

I don’t think choi is good for any reptile as it contains Oxyacid – something that takes calcium from the bones of your reptiles. Feeding high Oxyacid food to any reptile results in bone de-generation.

In respect to Australian Geckos – It is my understanding they are all insect eaters – meaning they do not eat vegetables or fruit. But instead eat crickets, meal worms, woodies, moths and the like. Just make sure you have non-contaminated (Sprayed) insects and every thing should be good.

There are large vegetarian geckos off the New Caledonia islands (illegal to keep in Australia). I think they are called sun geckos and are threaded by the introduction of rats (or mice).

Jason – I can imagine geckos licking flowers and/or sap from trees – but never head anything about this before. Sap would be from wattle trees and nectar from any native tree that tastes sweet to lick. Try a little honey or sugar water mixture and see how it goes.

Miss Croft, there are numerous entries in Herpetofauna of observations of Stophurus and Oedura licking nectar and saps. At a recent talk at the AHS, Glen Shea, did a talk on field work around Norfolk Is, which he did with Harold Cogger. The outcrops around the island hold vast, and I mean vast! numbers of Christinus guentheri, these Geckoes were found to be mainly living off a diet flowers for most of the year. I personally think more work needs to be done on the captive diets of these types of geckoes as they seem to consume some amounts of sugar in the wild that we are not reproducing in captivaty. Also of note from that talk, some eggs taken by H. Cogger and incubated, took nine months to hatch!

On a side note, some of the Pygopus species, particularly lepidopodus (which are practically stretched geckos) readily eat soft sweet fruit, and like to lick grevillea flowers. Paradelma sp. (i can't remember the species name) loves Mulga sap (Acacia harpophylla(?)).

-H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back