Gecko Help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possum

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My Underwoodisaurus laid an egg last week but it was all dried out and flat, it is the first lay because all three are quite young. This morning though I found another egg and took it from there enclosure and placed it in a bed a Sphagnum Moss (moist) and placed it next to my heat lamp so it remains at 29 degrees (as per my Breeding Gecko's incaptivity guide). There is quite a bit of moisture in the container and this is my first ever reptile egg. Can someone please let me know what I am supposed to do. I was told vermilicide for the incubation period is good but I don't have any on hand until tomorrow, will the moss be OK or should I do a mercy dash to the Bunnings??

Hi Possum, I would maintain the egg in the sphagnum moss until you can get vermiculite but remove the heat lamp as it is likely to cause you more dramas than you need. When you get your vermiculite use 1 part water to 10 parts vermiculite in a container with only 1 or 2 pencil tip holes for ventilation. Underwoodisaurus will hatch quite comfortably at room temp if you wish (hatch 65-80 days) or if incubated at 29-30 degress after about 50-55 days. If the egg is ok it will start to swell after the first 5-7 days. If it is no good it will discolour and generralt develop mould with the first ten days but mostly in the first 48 hours.
Hope this helps
Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back