Gecko ID Please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawra

Come here Squishy!
Reaction score
I have been going through old pics on my phone from when I lived on a rural property in NSW and this little fella turned up in my room.

He's pretty cool looking compared to all the ones running around my house at the moment.

Does anyone know what it is?

nedu5y5e.jpg
7aguda2e.jpg

Amalosia rhombifer AKA Zigzag Velvet Gecko

There is another simliar velvet geckocalled Nebulifera robusta that is found slightly south of Mackay, the way to tell them apart is that robusta has a much cleaner pattern and the tail is shorter and as the name suggest is usually more robust.

Last edited:
Amalosia rhombifer AKA Zigzag Velvet Gecko

There is another simliar velvet geckocalled Nebulifera robusta that is found slightly south of Mackay, the way to tell them apart is that robusta has a much cleaner pattern and the tail is shorter and as the name suggest is usually more robust.

Cool :) does it matter that this one was found in central NSW?

Amalosia lesueurii, Lesueur's velvet gecko, Previously known as Oedura lesueurii

Last edited:
I agree with the A. lesueurii ID. Josh A. rhombifer pattern is only superficially similar to this, it's really much cleaner, an obvious zig-zag or serrated edged strip, whereas the pattern in these guys is more like blotches lumped slightly messily together to form a line most often with breaks or bits of colour in the middle of that line. Makes these guys blend better into lichen coloured rocks and Zig-zags better into tree bark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back