Genetic questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lochie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My questions is about the pied mutation. (have never seen a pied effect in any australian snake)

Now to me I look at this and it looks as if it a codominace where both normal traits and albimism are expressed in the phenotype.
However can codominant traits be reproduced?

How is this genetic mutation caused is it by a more dominant reccesive gene or a less dominant dominant gene?

As far as I'm aware it's receive in ball pythons, there was a pied childreni found and released not long ago, there would be no way of knowing if it was receive unless bred an proven

im not to sure what you are asking?
ball python pieds are recessive as the_brad said there would be no way of being 100% sure that it is recessive in Australian species unless you breed the specie/s.
they're many diffrent types of ways a mutation can occur these include silent mutations,nonsense mutations, missense mutations, single base insertion and single base deletion. single base insertions and single base deletions shift the remaining stand of DNA depending on how far along the DNA strand it occurs its often fatal. genetic mutations are fairly easy to understand a wiki search will enlighten you
also yes co-dominant traits can be produced, all jags and zebras are co dom just as a example.
Cheers Liam

Last edited by a moderator:
im not to sure what you are asking?
ball python pieds are recessive as the_brad said there would be no way of being 100% sure that it is recessive in Australian species unless you breed the specie/s.
they're many diffrent types of ways a mutation can occur these include silent mutations,nonsense mutations, missense mutations, single base insertion and single base deletion. single base insertions and single base deletions shift the remaining stand of DNA depending on how far along the DNA strand it occurs its often fatal. genetic mutations are fairly easy to understand a wiki search will enlighten you
Cheers Liam

Okay maybe this will make more sense.
I was wondering if it was recessive because just by looking the phenotype I was fairly sure it was a codominant. (which I thought meant neither was reccesive or dominant)

I was wondering if it was recessive because just by looking the phenotype I was fairly sure it was a codominant. (which I thought meant neither was reccesive or dominant)
sorry i re read you post and edited my question. i understand how looking at the phenotype makes it look co dom, however there is no super form in ball pythons. Im sure the first person to ever produced a pied presumed it was co dom .

pieds look incomplete domiant between a lucy and a normal in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back